CatfishKev

Swavely kids 2020

Another year in the books for this years youth hunt.  First off hats off to Dave from the Arizona Deer Association! (ADA)  As usual they did a top notch camp this year with great food. And on top of that..... i wanted something special for my oldest kid this year, Aurora.  This was her last youth hunt and after years of grueling hikes hunts and failures i really wanted something special for her this year.   I hit up Dave via text and said as much and within a minute or two my phone was ringing.   He told me about a spot that sounded like a spot worth checking out. We decided to head up early this year and try and have a good day and a half of scouting..  on top of the deer tag we also had Auggies cow tag.  We figured chase elk first and last light and hopefully tag fast and spend the rest of the time chasing muley horns.  

Well this year was different in several ways, this year we were counting pennies,  mama ended up staying home and instead of pulling a camper and 2 trucks and camping up high, it was a tent hunt and only as needed people..  sort of.... since mama got screwed over my penance to stay in her good graces was to bring one of our nightmare children so that he would not be home fighting and screaming with the other nightmare child.   Lets call him.....😈😈😈DAMIEN....👹👹👹 prince of the underworld. Well, technically his name is Enoch and ironically the only bible name kid we have, hmmm... so we were offf..20201018_195126.thumb.jpg.bca4ee77edec7d535f7815bc660830a1.jpg

Another difference this year... i had volunteers!  Yup, Kev suckered a couple dudes into helping this year. Hats off to Jeff (ohthatguy) and his younger more handsome brother Bill.  We got to know Jeff and Bill on the last tuna fishin trip.  We were noobs and latched on to them for the fishing trip and stayed in contact since.  Initially Jeff was scheduled to help some friends on an elk hunt up north.   Well, unfortunately the wife of a tagholder and her friend were walking and got hit by a hit and run! Thank God they were ok!. Lucky for me this made him available to help us out on the kids hunt.  

Wednesday we arrive in camp and get set up,  first time we were ever there this early.  Time to glass!

20201007_175019.thumb.jpg.59950d76d51b272e2fd2bfbafe1c397b.jpg

Didn't see much that night, just a couple does. We went and checked a tank to see wassup, bone dry...

That night we set up camp and Jeff and Bill get to see a bit of what our life is like. Enoch is in full on Enoch mode and officially names himself mothman for the night. Goodlord! Is there really this many moths?? Thank the lord they were drawn to the propane campfire ring. We probably had a pound of burnt moth carcasses stuck in that thing by the end of the hunt.  20201007_200211.thumb.jpg.21891ae376d8c03bf86d046151b9034a.jpg

Next morning, plan of attack is make our lungs feel like they are bleeding to climb a great glassing hill. We get there and start the ascent.   Bill hangs out halfway up. I later find out hes a day into quitting smoking. Hes also new to hunting in general and is basically taking it all in for a crash course learning experience. Turns out hes from Commiefornia and moved here looking for a change of pace. Hes all ears next few days while i pretend to know what im talking about. Lucky Jeff is his brother and will help shorten his learning curve big time.  We poke around and start glassing, not seeing much then Jeff comes and gets me. Hes got a herd of deer... we are sitting by the edge of a cliff and hear a squeal... im thinking i need to check on Enoch and look up to see him approaching us fairly excited and see hom holding what looks to be a nice coues shed.  As he gets closer it turns out to be a good one. I summon Jeff to show him..20201008_073250.thumb.jpg.175e4cd97504272b61fe98917dbaf061.jpg

Well the morning wraps up with Jeff finding all the critters. 2 muley groups and a couple coues does. Not what we were hoping for... but hey thats hunting.

That evening i let the big kids chilax in camp and we split up. Nada for the evening, growing weary...  i decide to head up to the youth canp and check in. Also fill our tummies. I checkin with Dave and show him on my tablet where weve been looking. WRONG SPOT, oops!  We got a plan for opening morning though... sort of.

Well next morning we split up again.. and this is where Jeff really shows his committment to my kids... i cant say enough about this guy. He jumps on a quad at like 430 am and its freaking cold! Had to be at least a 5 mile ride to his glassing point, possibly more.  We ride to a spot to walk out to a knob overlooking our target area. We find the elk and deer right where they are supposed to be. We bust out and me and Aurora go set a blind on the tank, by this time all animals are gone.  Couple hours in, Its about 1pm, im feeling the urge to take a poo. Walk 40 yards to the west and bump a couple bucks... ugghhh. Ones the buck we  called the big 2x2. 20201009_134110.thumb.jpg.232f1aa1664e1c4b93841b6879fb7e52.jpg20201009_135937.thumb.jpg.c70fc4aea4e654cbe5a4a170ec9cd3db.jpg

Man, its freakin hot and i hate sitting water... the day winds down. A single coues buck is the only big animal seen, after the poop incident.  a nice one but not what we are after. 

Evening starts to roll in and i went back to grab Auggie. We cram auggie and enoch with us in the blind to keep our scent concealed knowing outside the thermals were changing around and didnt wanna blow anything out. As soon as the sun goes down behind the hill me and Auggie bust out of the blind like Bram Stokers dracula out of his coffin!. We start creeping uphill where we expect the elk to pop out.  Nothing... wait bugle that way... and we gave chase.  We rush in trying to get a view before we lose light. I feel my phone vibrate and mean to check it then totally forget in the heat of the moment.. we are closing distance,  we see elk.. get set up and right when Auggie had a clear shot-- awwwwww she moves out of sight.  We try n scramble for another shot but we get busted. The jigs up.  I tell Auggie to empty the chamber, he racks the bolt and the gun was not even loaded. Apparently aurora removed the cartridge to take dry practice shots while sitting the tank.  Now we dont roll ready to shoot like that, only if making a stalk... We get to watch Jeffs video later showing the elk come from the wrong direction with deer in tow. This info becomes critical for where we set up later... 

Next morning, Jeff again goes to freeze his butt off for my kids benefit. Me and Auggie are in position to make a move where the elk are supposed to be. Well, again they didnt follow the script. Jeff radios me theres elk in the trees. We head to the sound but end up busted by a cow in the cut below us and that was that. I walk down to the tank to see if i can get a view below us.  Oh crap its the big 2x2 and we left Aurora to sleep in thinking elk would be a "sure thing".  Now i have this nice muley staring at me... oh wait thats not a 2x2, thats a 4x4! From that moment on we started calling him the big 2x2 thats a 4x4.  

Well, elk was a bust. Back to the blind for me and Aurora. And the suffering commences. Luckily i downloaded a couple netflix movies. I decide to share a classic with my daugter, we each get an ear bud. Who remembers this movie???

I started cracking up at one point and had to rewind the moment where this dude shows his face.  Probly watched it 5 times.... classic!20201013_180726.thumb.jpg.0d352043e08c534208ce7ba920ef3c92.jpg

Well again, nothing that day... we head to Jeffs secret spot and check it out. Nada,  locals already got to them. We head back up to ada youth camp for free dinner.  When we get back we are informed we had a visitor in camp.  Apparently Bill snuck back to camp early...he turned over our cooler, stole a big ole pack of fancy jew dogs (hebrew nationals) ate our buns and bread and made off with our lunch meat.  Then he has the audacity to run around with his shoes off in camp so he can blame it on a bear. What a turd!

Next morning, Jeff once again proves his worth. I make Aurora come with us too and let enoch sleep in the truck. we head in following bugles to the south east. As we approach we here more distinct bugles to northeast.  While in pursuit Jeff radios me, 100 yards south of the tank! We haul butt, adrenaline starts to build... as we creep closer the bull gets louder and louder. We can almost feel the sound.  We are trying to rush, but slowly. We creep around a big pile of dead trees and i see a cow. I set up the tripod,  put the triggerstick on the back end of the rifle with it mounted in the triclawps.  I pretty much set it up and tell Auggie, "dude its good to go, the saftey is off". He jumps behind it and lines her up.  Im watching through the binos and am wondering whats taking so long.... dude shes turning what are you doing?  "You said it was a light trigger dad?" It is whats the problem? I look down to see I'm the moron this time... i forgot to take the saftey off. Well now shes staring at us, dont like what she sees and thats that. They spook and as we try and set up for a redemption shot the whole herd bolts.  BRUTAL!

just then Jeff radios and says theres another small group about 100 yards northwest of the tank... we creep in.  Theres a big thicket between us and them and the same bull we've been hearing.  Theres about a beach ball sized opening in the thicket and i can see a single cow. Holy crap this could still happen... i get everything set up and tell Auggie the saftey is off. This time i really mean it! I tell him wait until she stands broadside... here comes a yearling to stand right in the way and finally it moves. The cow turns to the right, whenever your good man let her rip... pow!!! And she trots off. I run sideways to try and get a view.  Jeff radios, they are directly between us and i say i think auggie just got one.  He doesnt see it right away but comes back with, yup he got one shes laying down. SUCCESS! Perfect shot, bullet was just under the hide opposite side, her insides were jelly. "ELK are tough" a classic trphyhntr comment that cracked me up one time. I had to tell the kids and Jeff about the post that had me laughing and how tough elk really are.

Heres a vid from jeffs perspective...

We head to the truck and Jeff calls me, "Bucks! Bucks!" Awe crap, left the rifle at the elk. Me and Aurora haul but while Auggie goes to pick up Bill. We miss out on the deer opportunity but all is not lost. Meanwhile we head back to break down the elk.  Once Auggie got Jeff me and Aurora made it back and Bill got to see his first Elk pack out. Well not really since Jeff jad his quad.  Jeff on left, Bill on right.20201011_064647.thumb.jpg.e85c6a2206a14ec3a989ebb48697af01.jpg

20201013_110651.thumb.jpg.a2875cbfeab13a8b7ecdf94754d815ae.jpg

What a freaking morning!

We take the meat to the cooler guy at pitchfork unlimited and then go plan for the evening. Now we know where the deer vanished, and we put that together with the direction we had the elk and deer come in the other night. Jeff rides off to once again be our eyes in the sky. Me and Aurora post up where i think they may come from as the evening draws on. I set up the rifle facing the north all ready to go just in case. I pull out my binos and just start looking all around. I hear Aurora whisper "dad!" I look to the north up the 2 track and see the big 2 point thats not really a 2 point jump the fence and head the wrong way... what? Where's he going?  I thought he must have seen or winded us cuz it seemed like he was in a hurry. Well we continued to wait...again Aurora whispers but with a bit more enthusiasm "DAD!" i look and here comes one of the forkies... now at this point trophy dreams are gone, we want to go home the next day so anything she gets a chance at we are gonna go for it. As i see the forky coming to the fence i say "you wanna shoot him?, should i make him stop?" She says "Yes!" So i make that sound we all make when you wanna stop a deer. He stops perfectly broadside about 60ish yards, maybe a hair more. CRACK! he jumps and lurches forward barely making it over the fences and bolts! I cant believe it, as he turns hauling horn into the treeline i think i see bloody guts hanging out his side.  I tell Aurora and she was like no dad that was straight up blood blowing out his side! Sure enough we walked down the fence line and found where he was standing... then a few more feet before hopping the fence. We call Jeff, dude she just smoked a forky!.    "Im on my way!"20201011_175222.thumb.jpg.0227e2aaaa05edc9b32b795f80082e4c.jpg20201011_175226.thumb.jpg.1afb5ff203155a5414ee43975c79fea1.jpg

now we follow the blood trail 

20201011_175233.thumb.jpg.2e965cd7b098be1f87b9a10163bcba34.jpg

as we are walking we are amazed by how much blood there is and i just cant believe he even made it to the treeline. Aurora in her quick wit responds with a "mule deer are tough", i freaking lose it and start cracking up.  As we work our way through the treeline we finally see him piled up.  As we walk up on him im thinking, dang thats a big bodied animal! This is the first desert muley i have walked up on, way thicker then a coues.  As we get closer it dawns on me..  "this isnt a forky, this is the big 2 point thats really a 4x4! Aurora you just killed a 4x4 muley!" We were freaking lit man! We thought she just killed a last day buck and in actuality it was our #2 buck. Turns out the buck that hopped the fence just ran for a drink of water and came back! We are beyond stoked!!!

Amazing exit wound!

20201011_180234.thumb.jpg.9f7278d89118d32ca39ea18a0f861b0a.jpg

very happy dad moment, 1st muley in the house and its a nice one. Looks like im springing for taxidermy...

20201013_110427.thumb.jpg.07c9a2ef4b09f5d18c723c479fa8ba71.jpg20201013_110232.thumb.jpg.40b3f54744514c70e19bdbaed391aff5.jpg

At this point Jeff was still thinking we got a forky, while waiting we called mom and told her the news and then Jeff finally showed up. I gave up on dragging this animal about 20 yards from the truck,  dam these deer are heavy. I was so excited to show Jeff when he got there that we got the 2 point 4x4! He was also thrilled and im sure looking forward to sleeping in!

Man what an amazing hunt. An elk and a nice buck in the same day.  Jeff you are the freaking man. Thank you so much! 

Jeff and Aurora with her last youth buck. Thanks again man.

20201013_110126.thumb.jpg.d138f7f7d8e6eecf84b4d31c01e87b50.jpg

• Like 16

Congrats! I make fun of vortex every chance I get, but Jeff can find more animals with those cheapy 15s. Selfless is a understatement about that guy. Ain't no mountain high enough for him to glass from. He will be our eye in the sky in 2 weeks. Sounds like a great time and a freezer full of meat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TOBY said:

Congrats! I make fun of vortex every chance I get, but Jeff can find more animals with those cheapy 15s. Selfless is a understatement about that guy. Ain't no mountain high enough for him to glass from. He will be our eye in the sky in 2 weeks. Sounds like a great time and a freezer full of meat.

Hes definately a game finding fool! Hope i get the chance to pay him back someday.

Kevin, two kids with different tags and the energizer bunny in tow made for a big ask and a tough week. You guys worked your butts off to make it happen and I am honored you allowed me to be a part of it. Two kids, two shots, two filled tags and a total tracking job of 100 yards between the two animals is a testament to the work you guys put in prior to the hunt. Awesome job on your part and theirs. Even hunting with an empty rifle and no rifle at all didn't stop them!  

I never heard a single whine or complaint from any of the kids. (I won't count Aurora being less than pleased that the bear took her unopened, prized hot dogs. That was just funny!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Kevin, two kids with different tags and the energizer bunny in tow made for a big ask and a tough week. You guys worked your butts off to make it happen and I am honored you allowed me to be a part of it. Two kids, two shots, two filled tags and a total tracking job of 100 yards between the two animals is a testament to the work you guys put in prior to the hunt. Awesome job on your part and theirs. Even hunting with an empty rifle and no rifle at all didn't stop them!  

I never heard a single whine or complaint from any of the kids. (I won't count Aurora being less than pleased that the bear took her unopened, prized hot dogs. That was just funny!)

Yeah... bear.... right...

20201019_120743.jpg.39ccc376df2c28150880a464dd329dfc.jpg

Surprised nobody brought this guy up yet....

20201013_180820.thumb.jpg.5ca6f83a86857420428c3d755370de3d.jpg

Also for anyone interested. We were using 140 grain Hornady Eldm. Performed great on the cow and did serious work on the muley.

Entrance under hide, 

20201012_082350.thumb.jpg.0bb3095ee20fd3401a9ba135c26e2d49.jpg

Exit under hide. I was amazed he took off like he did. You can see the ring of hydrostatic shock, pretty impressive.

20201012_075136.thumb.jpg.e6571245b8c2841760a53555bf48b6d3.jpg