Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Bloodiest Guns

Glenfield/Marlin model 60 is such a great gun. Learned how to shoot on one, have one in my safe.

My 257 wby has a pretty good resume.

BAR .270 Win. Has killed roughly 17 elk, 6 pronghorn, maybe 2 deer, bunch of rabbits and p-dogs and coyotes. It's currently in retirement replaced by another BAR but in .270 WSM.

• Like 1

2008 diamond black ice I got on sale at Cabelas in 2009.

Put arrows in 3 coues deer, a mule deer, a javelina, and a couple eastern whitetails.  

never killed anything bigger than a rabbit with a rifle.  At least not yet

27 minutes ago, GreatWhiteBuffalo said:

Magnum Research 22mag semi auto, the most accurate rimfire on the market. 40grn HP

The son and I capped a couple dozen chipmunks this summer, out to 115yds.

image.thumb.png.2e8735ae54e3ea954122987998ad579d.png

I have one exactly like it!  Lights out shooter! 

I was kind of going over the number & type of critters my trusty M70 has let the air out of over the last 50+ years. It started with the Kaibab buck in the earlier photo in this thread and ended with my little desert sheep. In between those two, that .264 did an outstanding job. 

I don't have exact numbers, but between mule deer, eastern & Tex. whitetail, Coues and CA blacktail, it has put down at least four dozen deer; also, six pronghorns, 11 elk, more than a dozen javelina (I used different guns for others), four BC black bears and at least 12 coyotes and two bobcats. Add to these a 61" Canada moose, three caribou subspecies, 11 of my 12 animals from Africa; a red stag, tahr, chamois and wallaby from New Zealand; and several exotic sheep, goats, a Russian hog, a blackbuck and a Scimitar antelope. 

Although the M70 has been the go-to, others that drew blood on game over the years include a Win M255 .22 mag, custom Mauser 7x57, Marlin 336 Texan 30/30 (my 1st CF), Win. M100 .243, Weatherby MK V .270 Wea., Browning Safari .270 Win, Browning BAR .300 WM, Browning A-bolt .338 WM, S&W M19 .357, Knight BP ML, and a Ruger SS .22 mag. In 1959, the Marlin killed my first buck -- a big NY state whitetail with 13" spikes. 

Sadly, within month or so, the M70 will get listed for sale in the classified section here. Same for my Robar custom M700 .300 WM. They are only firearms I still own. 

2 hours ago, GreatWhiteBuffalo said:

Magnum Research 22mag semi auto, the most accurate rimfire on the market. 

image.thumb.png.2e8735ae54e3ea954122987998ad579d.png

I bet there is a boat load of Anschutz guys and gals that would put up an argument with that Magnum Research being the most accurate rimfire on the market!

6 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

I bet there is a boat load of Anschutz guys and gals that would put up an argument with that Magnum Research being the most accurate rimfire on the market!

I've got a 541T HB that will out shoot it my MR (with me me shooting them both that is), but I have never really dialed in different loads for each.. But that 541 shoots amazing with everything I have ever put down it. I can't imagine how accurate those true target guns really are.    

29 minutes ago, jdown said:

I've got a 541T HB that will out shoot it my MR (with me me shooting them both that is), but I have never really dialed in different loads for each.. But that 541 shoots amazing with everything I have ever put down it. I can't imagine how accurate those true target guns really are.    

In 2017 we took my wife's rifle to the Lapua Center out on Higley Rd. They have a 100m underground range and they test different lots of ammo in your rifle. Test are done at 50m and 100m. The action is taken out of the stock and they rig something up so it's in a machine rest. This test was with Center X, which is the lower of .22 ammo that actually says Lapua on the box. Top target is 50 and the second is 100. The circle is 1 inch. These are 10 shot strings.

1021201253~2.jpg

1021201254~2.jpg

45 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Not familiar Anschutz and they may be more accurate, but the semiauto is Soo much more fun!

27 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

In 2017 we took my wife's rifle to the Lapua Center out on Higley Rd. They have a 100m underground range and they test different lots of ammo in your rifle. Test are done at 50m and 100m. The action is taken out of the stock and they rig something up so it's in a machine rest. This test was with Center X, which is the lower of .22 ammo that actually says Lapua on the box. Top target is 50 and the second is 100. The circle is 1 inch. These are 10 shot strings.

1021201253~2.jpg

1021201254~2.jpg

That's really cool. Would be fun to check that out. 

My bloodiest would probably have to be:

Rem SP10 - 10ga. Lots of fur (coyotes and foxes) and feathers (turkey, Geese, Ducks and even the occasional quail that was on the way back from jumping a tank)

Weatherby alaskan 300wby - (7-8 coues, 3 eastern wt, 1 bear, 3 elk (none of mine - I only archery elk), 1 buffalo (not mine)

Probably that Rem 541T - took it on a p-dog shoot in NW Co and shot 2 bricks through it (along with a few hundred 22-250 rounds).  3 days and only stopped shooting to eat and clean/rotate guns. Never seen so many targets.  

Bloodiest would probably be my dads Winchester 1500 12ga. Hundreds and hundreds of dove have fallen to it. 

For big game would be my CZ 6.5x55. It has 1 elk and 2 deer on it.