Sign in to follow this  
HorseHunter

Yellowstone tourists react as wolves gang up on grizzly bear

Wolf Pack vs Griz    and no I don’t mean not Montana vs Nevada

Interesting video although the commentary is a bit annoying, still worth a watch.

Here is the link to the article.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/10/yellowstone-tourists-react-as-wolves-gang-up-on-grizzly-bear-travel

• Like 3

Cool video. 👍

I wouldn't doubt that the wolves had a kill nearby and wanted Yogi out of there for that reason. Me thinks if the bear wanted to, a few swats and those wolves would be wondering what hit them. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Cool video. 👍

I wouldn't doubt that the wolves had a kill nearby and wanted Yogi out of there for that reason. Me thinks if the bear wanted to, a few swats and those wolves would be wondering what hit them. 

Neither side wanted to find out how far the other was willing to go. Bear can afford a certain amount of damage, a single wolf can afford zero injuries, how many pack members is Alpha wolf willing to loose?  I guess nothing was worth going "to war over" that day. If it got serious bear rips the pack up quite a bit but if all 11 dive in bear might sustain to many injuries. I believe we call it Mutually Assured Destruction.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Cool video. 👍

In my lack of wolf knowledge I am curious about the different coloring of the wolves in that video! What is the genetics of those wolves in that video?

I have seen several of the "Mexican Gray Wolves" in Az and depending on their age they can look very coyote at a quick glance but nothing that drastically different once they get to adult age!

2 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

In my lack of wolf knowledge I am curious about the different coloring of the wolves in that video! What is the genetics of those wolves in that video?

I have seen several of the "Mexican Gray Wolves" in Az and depending on their age they can look very coyote at a quick glance but nothing that drastically different once they get to adult age!

From what I've seen over the years, northern wolves come in all colors from pure white to mostly black. I fished at a lodge on Toobally Lake in the Yukon during the 1980s. The owner was also a trapper and had a beautiful 'rug' made from an all-white wolf. I tried to buy it, but he wasn't selling. I also saw one that was predominantly black. It and four other wolves were taking down a caribou cow on the shore of MacKay Lake in the NWT. We were returning to the lodge by boat and watched it take place. Sadly, it was too dark to take photos, other than something like this, which was taken a few minutes earlier...

McKenzieLk.jpg.445002eff90bc59b189dc0028a70328a.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Forgot to address this part...

Only guessing here, but I'd say the sameness occurs because of the limited genetics from the early linages used.  

7 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

The only one I have seen was back in about 1989 in Unit 29 and it was all black.

21 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

The only one I have seen was back in about 1989 in Unit 29 and it was all black.

Was that a remnant of the wild population that had supposedly all been captured in 1980??

12 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

From what I've seen over the years, northern wolves come in all colors from pure white to mostly black. I fished at a lodge on Toobally Lake in the Yukon during the 1980s. The owner was also a trapper and had a beautiful 'rug' made from an all-white wolf. I tried to buy it, but he wasn't selling. I also saw one that was predominantly black. It and four other wolves were taking down a caribou cow on the shore of MacKay Lake in the NWT. We were returning to the lodge by boat and watched it take place. Sadly, it was too dark to take photos, other than something like this, which was taken a few minutes earlier...

McKenzieLk.jpg.445002eff90bc59b189dc0028a70328a.jpg

Beautiful picture. Looks like you have a caribou of your own in the boat.

9 hours ago, arizonian said:

Beautiful picture. Looks like you have a caribou of your own in the boat.

Thank you.

The boat in the photo was another one with two other hunters in it.  I was riding in a different one, but I did have a bull as well. It was bigger than the one in the photo. 😂 It's the one on the far left below. The 'bous in that area are classified as Central Barren Ground (NWT), compared to the Barren Ground (Alaska) in the middle. There'a small Mountain (BC) variety on the wall to the left not shown, which I call "my last minute or nothing" one. 

728229420_6678trophyr71.jpg.688dee22d22ff29e4810cbcf18c4cdb8.jpg