bojangles

late archery strategies

Your equipment is up to the task.  Consider going to a bow shop and shooting a few arrows through their chrono.  Shoot a few with 100 gr. and 125 gr points to see how much velocity is lost with the heavier field points.  They might charge a small fee.  You will be able to calculate your KE.  Knowing what KE you & your rig are generating will allow you to choose a suitable broadhead.  I shoot fixed two blade heads and they are an excellent choice for ensuring penetration.  All things being equal, fixed two blade heads will not leave as much trailing blood as expandables or 3-4 blade heads.  On a solid hit, not a big deal but a marginal hit, it does become an issue.  Modern bows store a lot of energy, you may find that a two blade is not necessary. 

43 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I am working my way up. I can get close to 60. My bow max's out at 70

Don’t overthink things.  Shoot what poundage you are accurate with.  Accuracy trumps everything.  Find an elk, get under 50, wait for a good shot, send it.  

also, practice with you broad heads. 

what tag do you have?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Don’t overthink things.  Shoot what poundage you are accurate with.  Accuracy trumps everything.  Find an elk, get under 50, wait for a good shot, send it.  

also, practice with you broad heads. 

what tag do you have?

Unit 10 late archery. Looks like its gonna snow Monday! I am heading there on November 16th staying until the 20th. I have a deer hunt right after that!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Your equipment is up to the task.  Consider going to a bow shop and shooting a few arrows through their chrono.  Shoot a few with 100 gr. and 125 gr points to see how much velocity is lost with the heavier field points.  They might charge a small fee.  You will be able to calculate your KE.  Knowing what KE you & your rig are generating will allow you to choose a suitable broadhead.  I shoot fixed two blade heads and they are an excellent choice for ensuring penetration.  All things being equal, fixed two blade heads will not leave as much trailing blood as expandables or 3-4 blade heads.  On a solid hit, not a big deal but a marginal hit, it does become an issue.  Modern bows store a lot of energy, you may find that a two blade is not necessary. 

I'll go try that out! Thank you

Had an elk  hunt where this guy,   minister from Utah, swore up and down and   every which way . His ole hand sharpened zwicky broadheads would have a pass thru penatration.  Especislly if under 50 yrds.No matter where it hit. 

Second day of the hunt he came back  to camp missing an arrow. When questioned he was a little hesitant, telling us , that he had a good hit on this monster bull. But couldnt find his arrow. It was a broadside at 40 ish yrds.  So out we go yo help track and recover his bull.

Found the spot he shot from. ,the place the bull was standing . No arrow to be found with little sign of blood. Followed tracks best we could but marked a small puddle here and there.  By time it was dark , we basically called it off for the night. Marked the last sign

Looked most next morning , we found his broken off arrow. About 24in long , no sign of blood on it! Later that night we found his bull.

Chasing cows , bugling like crazy . Had a piece  of arrow sticking out his front shoulder by a dryed up blood spot!

So much for his pass thru crap !

Lots of  lost,, dead animals and a few still running around due to improper shot placement.

Knowing yardage and having a good kill shot. Or DON'T SHOOT!!

You can do everything right and still not fill a tag!

Good luck and hunt smart !

29 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

Had an elk  hunt where this guy,   minister from Utah, swore up and down and   every which way . His ole hand sharpened zwicky broadheads would have a pass thru penatration.  Especislly if under 50 yrds.No matter where it hit. 

Second day of the hunt he came back  to camp missing an arrow. When questioned he was a little hesitant, telling us , that he had a good hit on this monster bull. But couldnt find his arrow. It was a broadside at 40 ish yrds.  So out we go yo help track and recover his bull.

Found the spot he shot from. ,the place the bull was standing . No arrow to be found with little sign of blood. Followed tracks best we could but marked a small puddle here and there.  By time it was dark , we basically called it off for the night. Marked the last sign

Looked most next morning , we found his broken off arrow. About 24in long , no sign of blood on it! Later that night we found his bull.

Chasing cows , bugling like crazy . Had a piece  of arrow sticking out his front shoulder by a dryed up blood spot!

So much for his pass thru crap !

Lots of  lost,, dead animals and a few still running around due to improper shot placement.

Knowing yardage and having a good kill shot. Or DON'T SHOOT!!

You can do everything right and still not fill a tag!

Good luck and hunt smart !

That's gotta hurt! I cant imagine being in that situation, but luckily you found the bull! Imma try and stay around 35 yards and see what type of broadhead I can shoot better! I found some at bass pro I am going to try!

9 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

A mechanical will work well. They make a ton now but I shoot rages. Everyone has their own thoughts but they do serious damage and I say that from experience. 

On a bull elk, @55lbs with a 24inch draw? 
Cause that’s what the op is shooting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Ya ya ya I read that wrong. My bad. 

I’ve killed several bulls with expendables. But all have been with a 70-80lbs bow at 29 inches with a 440-500g arrow. The last one a few weeks ago fell dead with In sight