beercanfan

Adult onset hunter, first Elk tag

New to the forum and frankly, still new to hunting, 5 years of putting in for tags, Ive pulled a few Coues tags down in 35A (way out of my league, but enjoyed every minute of it) along with 4 years of whitetail hunting in Oklahoma, which as you know is nothing like hunting in the west.

I pulled my first tag this year, 5A late season hunt and looking for some guidance. Fortunately, I am familiar with the area from many years of camping, but not sure where to begin with a tag in my pocket. 

So any advice for a novice hunter on a late season Elk hunt in 5A?

Scout the elk the 2 weekends before your hunt. Try and find the elk during the weeks prior and identify what type of area they are in. Likely when you go on your hunt they will be in the same type of area or lower depending on weather and pressure. 

Late elk are going to be in bachelor groups eating and sleeping.  They need to rest up and regain weight after fighting and chasing girls and forgetting to eat during the prior month.  A little pressure will push them back into rougher country.  You can find them bedded mid day.  Glass hard look for the suede colored rumps/lumps.  As noted by Hoss50 scout pretty close to the hunt as their pattern changes after the rut.

Study the main drainages in your unit.  Pay close attention to finger canyons that feed the main drainages.  Find the roughest, most inaccessible, thick & nasty canyons available.  Scour said canyons with your optics and be patient.  That's where the bachelor bull groups will be hanging.