Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Elk kill range

Hi guys I know I brought this topic up in a other post but I made some adjustments and found some new things out about my setup! 

So i just brought my weight up to 65 pounds. I am maxed out on my bow now. The string is suoer stretched out due to 3000 arrows being shot since last january. My draw weight is 24 inches with a total arrow weight of 369 grains. Any new tips on maybe bringing the weight up? Kill range and broadhead options? Thank you!

If you have the $ take it to a bow shop for a new string. Tell the guys you are trying to maximize your effective range and see what they suggest.  

Maybe double check your draw length while you are there and see if you have any room to add an inch to your set up.  

If you have time, definitely go for a new string. 125gn head and steel or brass inserts will bring up your weight quite a bit i would guess but with your light total weight, you are shooting arrows that are not spined very heavily and all that weight out on the end could make your arrow flight less than desirable. It is probably too late in the game to totally change your arrow set up. 369 is LIGHT for elk. I did kill a bull with 385gn arrows at around 70 yards but I was also shooting nearly 340fps. 

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

If you have the $ take it to a bow shop for a new string. Tell the guys you are trying to maximize your effective range and see what they suggest.  

Maybe double check your draw length while you are there and see if you have any room to add an inch to your set up.  

I'll see about that draw length. I just got the string in February or March and it has little to no frays and it kept inside and waxed daily due to every day shooting so would I be okay enough to wait until after the elk season and hope to get it before january for OTC deer?

4 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

If you have time, definitely go for a new string. 125gn head and steel or brass inserts will bring up your weight quite a bit i would guess but with your light total weight, you are shooting arrows that are not spined very heavily and all that weight out on the end could make your arrow flight less than desirable. It is probably too late in the game to totally change your arrow set up. 369 is LIGHT for elk. I did kill a bull with 385gn arrows at around 70 yards but I was also shooting nearly 340fps. 

Yeah the guy at sportsmens said I was shooting at about 300-310 fps. So would a 45 or 50 yard shot be effective and ethical for an elk?

34 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Your shooting 340 with everything on your bow? Or are you going off the manufacture specs?

Just use a strong, sharp, fixed blade broadhead. I would honestly look at a 2-blade with a long taper if i was you. If you centerpunched a rib at 45-50 yards with a short, fat broadhead, you could be in trouble. Magnus makes some tried and true 2-blades that you won’t have to take out a loan to afford. 

3 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Your shooting 340 with everything on your bow? Or are you going off the manufacture specs?

I was shooting 340, chronographed. 31” draw 72lb PSE Omen. I had it over 350fps with 360gn arrows but it was a little hairy. I now shoot a Mathews around 410gn arrows at about 305-310 

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Just use a strong, sharp, fixed blade broadhead. I would honestly look at a 2-blade with a long taper if i was you. If you centerpunched a rib at 45-50 yards with a short, fat broadhead, you could be in trouble. Magnus makes some tried and true 2-blades that you won’t have to take out a loan to afford. 

Sounds great! Thank you!