Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Elk kill range

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

How did you calculate your draw length?

They guy at the archery shop measured then divided by 2.5. I'm a short person. 5'3 I may be able to add an inch but that would be tops though

5 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

They guy at the archery shop measured then divided by 2.5. I'm a short person. 5'3 I may be able to add an inch but that would be tops though

Yeah that sounds right, just checking.  When you are at full draw is your arm holding the bow pretty straight?  You dont wanna have that arm completely maxed out other wise the string will smack your forearm and thats not good. And if wearing winter gear makes it even worse and will mess up your shot. 

33 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah that sounds right, just checking.  When you are at full draw is your arm holding the bow pretty straight?  You dont wanna have that arm completely maxed out other wise the string will smack your forearm and thats not good. And if wearing winter gear makes it even worse and will mess up your shot. 

I do have to keep it a little bent and itll still smack my arm so I wear an arm guard to protect or I'll bruise or burn my skin from the friction of the string

1 minute ago, UggRedBilly said:

I do have to keep it a little bent and itll still smack my arm so I wear an arm guard to protect or I'll bruise or burn my skin from the friction of the string

Sounds like where its supposed to be. Just remember that when hunting and its cold and your wearing warm gear it will hit your arm. I learned the hard way on this. When ready to take a shot i pop my bow holding arm out of my jacket quick.  

Just now, CatfishKev said:

Sounds like where its supposed to be. Just remember that when hunting and its cold and your wearing warm gear it will hit your arm. I learned the hard way on this. When ready to take a shot i pop my bow holding arm out of my jacket quick.  

Sounds good! Would it be smart to practice with it on if possible?

11 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Sounds good! Would it be smart to practice with it on if possible?

Not a bad idea at all, i try to give some bow in my arm to compensate.  But buck / elk fever is a real thing and after like 20 years of archery hunting im still a victim of it.  What can i say, the adrenaline still gets the best of me. I dont know how some guys keep their composure at that moment.  Its one of the reasons i switched to the IQ bowsight. It adds one more thing to my mental checklist to try and force myself to slow down and think my shot through. When you got a buck looking you in the eye its reeaall easy to forget and make a stupid mistake.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Not a bad idea at all, i try to give some bow in my arm to compensate.  But buck / elk fever is a real thing and after like 20 years of archery hunting im still a victim of it.  What can i say, the adrenaline still gets the best of me. I dont know how some guys keep their composure at that moment.  Its one of the reasons i switched to the IQ bowsight. It adds one more thing to my mental checklist to try and force myself to slow down and think my shot through. When you got a buck looking you in the eye its reeaall easy to forget and make a stupid mistake.   

Me too. I missed 2 deer this year and I switched to the same sight for 5 pins. Makes me double check a lot more!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 5:43 PM, Noel Arnold said:

The key to not snaking your forearm is to open your stance a little more

And point your elbow down. 

If you are pushing 300ft/sec with 369grains with only a 24" draw, that seems really impressive to me. I would have said more like 270ish but these bows do amazing things these days.

In terms of kinetic energy at 300ft/sec and 369gr you are at 73ft pounds then and plenty to push a fixed blade through out to 50 to even 60 no problem in my opinion.  If that 300 comes down to 270 let's say, that drops your Ki to 60ftlbs and I would say 40-50 is a long enough shot then. 

You might also try picking up some practice broadheads (or even tips) of 85, 100, and 125 gr. and see which weight groups better.  Save you from all that pin adjusting, until you really get ready to dial in.  

2 hours ago, jdown said:

If you are pushing 300ft/sec with 369grains with only a 24" draw, that seems really impressive to me. I would have said more like 270ish but these bows do amazing things these days.

In terms of kinetic energy at 300ft/sec and 369gr you are at 73ft pounds then and plenty to push a fixed blade through out to 50 to even 60 no problem in my opinion.  If that 300 comes down to 270 let's say, that drops your Ki to 60ftlbs and I would say 40-50 is a long enough shot then. 

Thank you! I'm starting to get my patterns tighter and starting to shoot better with the new setup

Accuracy is key! Sounds like you practice a lot and that is awesome! A marginal hit is never a good time. Knowing your effective range and using a cut on contact broadhead which is new or resharpened before shooting is equally important. Expandable broadheads are generally not as sharp and use too much energy entering the animal. I used slick tricks on my bulls and shot through my 373 6x7. I shot a spike bull with the same and hit ribs and the arrow breached the other side but did not exit completely. 430 grn  arrow at 278 FPS. 53 yds and 38 yds. 

Now I am sure someone has shot a book bull at 183 yds with an expandable and things went perfect but for every one of those there are thousands of bad experiences on elk and smaller critters. 

I am sure there are a lot more experienced peeps on elk than I am but this is Just my .02. 

Good luck my brother! If you can, go to 3D shoots and/or join a local club. The shoots are phenomenal practice and guys and gals at a club will help you big Time!