Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Ammo ID help

long story short - I bedded my rifle- bought some ammo took 5 rounds from my house that were taped together with a note that said “4 inches high at a 100 yards maybe 150 grain” - took it to the range - Grouped the different loads that I bought then just to get rid of the mystery ammo I sent it down the tube. Well to my surprise the mystery ammo far and away out performed everything else I took out there.  Now I am trying to figure out what the mystery ammo was so that I can buy some more of that kind. I don’t recall where it came from or how long I’ve had it. Anyone recognize the stamp on the back and can identify it?

it has an FC stamp along with 7mm REM mag. And blue stuff around the primer. 

99FDAEAB-F687-4ADE-AC0C-A62D9B56CE21.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Arizona Griz said:

It appears to be Federal Cartridge ammo.

Thanks I had wanted to assume that was what FC stood for. But really with my super amazing vocabulary and above average creativity I could have made FC out to mean anything. 
thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Agree that FC is Federal...I have a couple different flavors of Federal including American Eagle and all have the FC stamp. 

unfortunately that may not help since Federal makes so many different possibilities in 7mm rem mag. Do you have any “before” pics of the bullet that might help identify it?

28 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Agree that FC is Federal...I have a couple different flavors of Federal including American Eagle and all have the FC stamp. 

unfortunately that may not help since Federal makes so many different possibilities in 7mm rem mag. Do you have any “before” pics of the bullet that might help identify it?

So I don’t have any before pics but after being thrown on the scent of them being federal I looked around and they looked like this. Now I didn’t have a box but the cartridge looked like this. (Bullet style and crimp)

3B8D19B8-4B2D-48AE-A8AF-693F39DEE24A.jpeg

Just a guess but I would try Federal Premium w/ 160 gr Nosler Partition.

• Like 1

Whatever it turns out to be you’d be safe to assume, in the current ammo climate, FC does not stand for “freaking cheap”. Sounds like you have some test shooting ahead of you.

Have fun and good luck.

• Like 3

Yeah this might turn into a “what do you already have that works okay” to use for your hunt (assuming this is for an upcoming tag) and figure out once things hopefully settle down what the mystery round was that did really well...

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Federal makes more than 25 different subspecies of its 7mm mag loads, some with similar looking but different bullets. 

Oh my gosh that’s a lot of sub species. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HorseHunter said:

Whatever it turns out to be you’d be safe to assume, in the current ammo climate, FC does not stand for “freaking cheap”. Sounds like you have some test shooting ahead of you.

Have fun and good luck.

Ha ha yeah we can scratch freaking cheap off the list of possible options that’s for sure!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Yeah this might turn into a “what do you already have that works okay” to use for your hunt (assuming this is for an upcoming tag) and figure out once things hopefully settle down what the mystery round was that did really well...

Sadly I don’t have any upcoming tags. I was taking this break between tags to undergo this bedding project. So I have some time to try some different options. 

13 hours ago, Rag Horn said:

Oh my gosh that’s a lot of sub species. 

Indeed. I found a similar fate when I was looking for .300 WM loads, and that was many years ago.