Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Any amateur radio operators here?

Yep, and it bailed me out of a hard spot this year when I shot my bull during archery season. Had no cell service, 1030 in the am and already 70 degrees. Got a hold of my wife for some help and some buddies. Was very nice not to have to find cell coverage. Greenspeak is the bomb.

-W3DXN

• Like 3

Back in the '80s I got my novice license.  I tried looking myself up on the ARRL website but couldn't find anything by call sign or name.  I'm sure it expired or the paperwork never go entered into the website once the Internet became a thing.  Back in those days the novice had to show proficiency in Morse code.  The only reason I passed the Morse code test was because the instructor felt bad for me.  I was really bad at it.  I was thinking about getting back into it now that they've removed the Morse code hurdle.  I'll look into it more earnestly after seeing this post.

19 minutes ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

Back in the '80s I got my novice license.  I tried looking myself up on the ARRL website but couldn't find anything by call sign or name.  I'm sure it expired or the paperwork never go entered into the website once the Internet became a thing.  Back in those days the novice had to show proficiency in Morse code.  The only reason I passed the Morse code test was because the instructor felt bad for me.  I was really bad at it.  I was thinking about getting back into it now that they've removed the Morse code hurdle.  I'll look into it more earnestly after seeing this post.

You need to renew every 10 years.  you should get back into it…

• Like 1

howdy, off the subject of HAM a little but last year i purchased a set of midland radios after reading a good amount of reviews.  my experience with them has been terrible, one of the radios wouldn't take a charge, reads full and dies when you go to transmit. I guess my question is what set of GMRS radios would you guys run if you had to pick up a set today?  Midland seems to have saturated the market or bought out the review sites.   I'm looking at a setup like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SXVTWW/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSkpLVU5JWkZOSlE2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDQxNzc0MU9NRDQ4NDM2Q0lRVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODY1OTQ4M0dZNU1HSEkxR0tXSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2hxcF9zaGFyZWQmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Been licensed since the late 80's early 90's.  Run an HT and a mobile in the truck.  HAM works way better than FRS/GMRS, but when not when with HAMs, I hand out MURS freq radios.   MURS doesnt need a license and is open use.

Most of the FRS/GMRS say 25 miles etc. that is optimal test conditions ie., flat land/water peak to peak, etc...  Those radios are good for very short distance line of site.  The problem with all these bubble pack radios is the antenna is garbage.  This is why you see HAM radios with longer antennas, but also, we can vary power as needed and use repeaters to get longer range even with HTs.  I would get a set of preprogarmmed business radios/murs using the motorola "Black Box" radios.  Contact a company and ask them for help / guidance - these aren't cheap but are 100 times better than the bubble packs.  Aircomm, creative communications/solutions, action communications.

• Thanks 1