Elkhunter1

9mm for Coues Deer.

I have taken a couple nice bucks with a rifle and my bow, now I want to take one with my Taurus PT99.  I know it has the power to get it done, what is your opinion on the 9mm?

I have done ballistic testing with the 147grn Hornady XTP. With the best load I was getting 12.5" of penetration with an expansion of about 2.5.

FB_IMG_1603916276402.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

XTP is a great bullet.

Yes it is, especially with a hot load behind it, that just happens to be the most accurate one.

• Like 1

I agree...you know your effective range and you know the load/bullet combo is effective. Coues in the other handgun thread killed with a .40 which isn’t much bigger than 9mm especially with your current load. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bustedknuckleinc said:

Went to a local gun store today. And 9mm was $38 bucks for 50 115.  Wouldn’t 338 lapua be more cost effective? 😂🤣

He11, surprised they had any. Where was that?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bustedknuckleinc said:

Went to a local gun store today. And 9mm was $38 bucks for 50 115.  Wouldn’t 338 lapua be more cost effective? 😂🤣

Not unless you’re finding some smoking deals on 338 lapua...but yeah unfortunately that seems to be the going rate for 9mm now if you can find it. 

• Like 2

I think you will be fine, Handgun hunting is a blast. saw a dude kill a Huge muley in 13A one year with a 9mm glock from a sleeping bag laying down.

he was camped maybe 20 yards away, he road in on his harley from phx, his buddies were meeting him on opening day with the camping stuff and rifles guess they drew a few tags . he was just planning on scouting till his buddies showed up. 

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

i have harvested three mule deer ( also 8 javs, and 3 coyotes and several fox)  with my .357 revolver. i have not shot a coues.  even with a super accurate 9 like a sig P210, capable of say a 50 yard shot the power is not real high. get  close.  all the mule deer  i shot were under 25 yards.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:28 AM, roninflag said:

i have harvested three mule deer ( also 8 javs, and 3 coyotes and several fox)  with my .357 revolver. i have not shot a coues.  even with a super accurate 9 like a sig P210, capable of say a 50 yard shot the power is not real high. get  close.  all the mule deer  i shot were under 25 yards.

I plan on sitting water for a shot around 30 yards or closer.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 8:55 AM, roninflag said:

Elk- what ammo/load?  5" beretta?

I need to re-work the load for the Hornady 147grn XTP.  I used to load it with 6.5 grns of Herco to be the most accurate.