Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Lions.....

Born and raised in AZ, and finally saw my first lion last weekend.  Unfortunately it was in a canyon I was glassing on opening day of the early deer season down south, so surprise, we saw no deer that morning! 🤣

Saw THREE!    Assuming either a mother and a couple of adolescents or three adolescent siblings.   Anyway, I snapped a couple of pics through the Swaros and thought I would share here (Only got pics of two.....).  Thinking I might buy me one of those phone-scope thingys. ;)

lions 1.jpg

lions 2.png

lions 3.png

• Like 16

I've glassed up 7 this year this far and have another 20 on cameras. Southern AZ overrun. Water related for sure but on wet years it's almost as bad...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Adicted said:

were u in 36A by any chance...I saw a monster tom

Across the highway in 'C'.    High up in those STEEP freaking Baboquivari's.  

15 minutes ago, Adicted said:

were u in 36A by any chance...I saw a monster tom

there's a big Tom that likes the hills south of the Sierritas.  I was glassing and 1 ridge over he just walked along up and over and out of sight.... dark brown. Do their coats change like deer?

Only glassed on up myself in 40 yrs of hunting, saw a few cross the rd.. The one on the bottom looks Young..

Tha'ts awesome. I would bet mom and two yutes.

I have never glassed a cat but have called in quite a few. Had a very close encounter a few years back while coues hunting in 24a. Had a cat take down a deer right on the ridge I was glassing. Heard the entire thing but they were under some trees and couldn't see it. Another cat was down at the bottom of the canyon whistling back and fourth. Very cool thing.

• Like 3

Crazy, i also saw my first lion on opening day. Ran out in front of me about 60ish yards. 

Went and set cams on some drinkers the next day to hopefully pattern it. Left a few days and checked. No cat. But since this year is so dry im gonna try and set some cams in tougher to get to spots. Maybe this year i have a chance at one with my bow.

Couple deer pics from the cams

20201028_141413.thumb.jpg.82eb2953115b3d0daffedc96a52dbd0c.jpg20201028_140841.thumb.jpg.242041771f956bed1d743810b9a74e57.jpg20201028_141747.thumb.jpg.8cb6645726714a0e9738afca2c051438.jpg

• Like 7

I’ve glassed a few .always a reason why I count kill them. The last one was 1 week before season opened last year while bear hunting. 

can’t wait to get back down south to do some coues deer hunting this year 

56 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Catfishkev, that second picture of that buck is very cool!

Yeah the length on his tines is amazing, on a forward view he is pretty narrow but imo hes a shooter still. Hes definately got the cool factor.  

The wide guy got my interest too, real wide but nubs for points. Im thinking maybe he is old and in decline but his face doesnt say old so im not sure...