Sign in to follow this  
Hammnit

Early Kaibab Rifle Reports???

I'm curious how the early rifle hunts went?  Did the snow help at all?  How did the fire effect the hunt on the west side? Or even the East side?

I'm headed there today to start scouting for the muzz hunt on the east and curious if there were any stories.

Surprisingly, I know 4 guys who had the archery hunts, 5 guys that had 12AE or 12AW early rifle hunts, and have not heard a peep from any of the rifle hunters.  

I know a few who have the late hunts too.

• Like 2

It snowed Sunday night and was way below freezing Monday/Tuesday. Sunday afternoon the clouds rolled in an hour after dark it started to rain for about 10 minutes then sleek/snow. My sons deer was froze solid Tuesday morning. We thought his deer was a nice 3x3 but turned out to be a 3 x 2, he told me last night that was the best hunt hes ever had. We were in 12 AW

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 452b264 said:

It snowed Sunday night and was way below freezing Monday/Tuesday. Sunday afternoon the clouds rolled in an hour after dark it started to rain for about 10 minutes then sleek/snow. My sons deer was froze solid Tuesday morning. We thought his deer was a nice 3x3 but turned out to be a 3 x 2, he told me last night that was the best hunt hes ever had. We were in 12 AW

Pics or it didn't happen ;) 

Hunted the east side this year. Passed on a 135 type buck opening day and a giant fork right at Sun down. Nothing but spikes and forks after that. Hunted hard and put a lot of miles on the boots and a lot if time behind the glass. I think I kind of screwed myself opening morning. I though it was a good idea to go in on the mid pinion/juniper level of the old warm fire and hike up thinking I would get away from others while still hunting the burn. Well I was away from others and was able to glass a ton of country but unfortunately I think I was still to low. Only saw one fork way up in the burn and heard probably 15 people take shots higher up in the burn off the 67. After that I decided to hunt the top and saw hundreds of deer but nothing mature. Was able to glass up a sleeping coyote in the top of the burn so I don't think there was anything wrong with my glassing.

20201023_065325.jpg

20201026_170230.jpg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, bvanetten said:

Monday morning.

20201026_071213.jpg

I sat a tank Monday morning in the snow and at sunup it was -1 and when my dad picked me up at noon it was -3. Was all the fun I could stand.

• Like 1

Nice buck and the young man looks rightfully happy, good for him!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nateNAU said:

Hunted the east side this year. Passed on a 135 type buck opening day and a giant fork right at Sun down. Nothing but spikes and forks after that. Hunted hard and put a lot of miles on the boots and a lot if time behind the glass. I think I kind of screwed myself opening morning. I though it was a good idea to go in on the mid pinion/juniper level of the old warm fire and hike up thinking I would get away from others while still hunting the burn. Well I was away from others and was able to glass a ton of country but unfortunately I think I was still to low. Only saw one fork way up in the burn and heard probably 15 people take shots higher up in the burn off the 67. After that I decided to hunt the top and saw hundreds of deer but nothing mature. Was able to glass up a sleeping coyote in the top of the burn so I don't think there was anything wrong with my glassing.

We had the same experience in 2018 in 12ae early. I shot my buck opening morning and he was a decent buck. We didn't see anything larger than a fork for 5 more days. My buddy settled for a small fork on the 2nd to last day of the hunt.