Sign in to follow this  
Hammnit

Early Kaibab Rifle Reports???

8 hours ago, Flatlander said:

If you’ve had 6 Kaibab tags and not tagged a deer I’d say your luck ran out long ago.

Oh, I have had plenty of opportunities.  I am holding out for one those classic kaibab bucks that go well over the 200 mark.  I have seen a couple while hunting but things didn't work out for one reason or another.  It is very common to see 15-20 bucks per day but they are not all the big ones.  The most I have ever seen in a single day is 39 but that was 12 or 13 years ago.  Lots of 22-26 inch bucks running around up there but numbers drop dramatically once you start to get to 28" and bigger.  If and when I ever draw another 12aw tag, I will know the buck I want to shoot when I see him.  I'm ok coming home with my tag still in my pocket.  If hunting was just about killing, I would have quit years ago. 

Good luck to the late hunt guys and be sure to post up some pictures when you get back.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Flatlander said:

We won’t talk about how many points it took for my 11 yo to get the tag. Where was Duwane’s camp during the early hunt? 

His small town was right off the 447.

2 hours ago, knothead said:

Oh, I have had plenty of opportunities.  I am holding out for one those classic kaibab bucks that go well over the 200 mark.  I have seen a couple while hunting but things didn't work out for one reason or another.  It is very common to see 15-20 bucks per day but they are not all the big ones.  The most I have ever seen in a single day is 39 but that was 12 or 13 years ago.  Lots of 22-26 inch bucks running around up there but numbers drop dramatically once you start to get to 28" and bigger.  If and when I ever draw another 12aw tag, I will know the buck I want to shoot when I see him.  I'm ok coming home with my tag still in my pocket.  If hunting was just about killing, I would have quit years ago. 

Good luck to the late hunt guys and be sure to post up some pictures when you get back.

Exactly, or Freaks ie non typicals saw a non typical one year and thats all I could think of shooting, Ran into a guy in ferdonia out by big springs that shot a double droptine with points everwhere (in velvet) and I was hooked

• Like 1

15 hours ago, knothead said:

I have been trying for a late tag the last four years and I am getting tired of waiting and not getting to hunt.  Not getting any younger either.  I think I am going to give it one more try next year and then nothing but early hunts for me after that.  I'm not much of a rifle hunter any more but I still enjoy giving it a go for deer.  Congratulations to all the successful hunters so far this year.

My late tag 2 years ago was drawn withh 11 points at age 62. Don't know if I will ever get another one!...................BOB!

Up here on the muzzleloader (12AE) right now.  Getting hammered with snow tonight.  Been seeing tons of does and small bucks, but did get a quick glimpse of a toad on opening day.  Seems like the deer are grouped up and bailing off the top, so we're headed down to the low country in the morning.  Looking at hitting the Cocks Comb area.

• Like 1

Not wanting to be one of those guys who asks for info and splits.  Here's the report from my 12ae muzzleloader hunt.  Started out hot and dry.  I scouted for 5 days and saw tons of does and small bucks.  Opening day jumped a giant buck, but couldn't get a shot. On the 3rd day of the season we got tons of snow up high.  Went down low that day, but didn't see much.  Continued to hunt up high the rest of the hunt.  Continued to see quite a few deer (and bucks) each day.  On day 5 saw another big buck, but again couldn't get a clear shot (too many does).  On day 6 saw fewer deer (18-20 total).  Right before dark had a group of does sneak out of a draw above me with one buck trailing them.  Looked good from the side (mistake)  so when he cleared the small pines, I gave him one. Hit him high in the shoulder, but had to chase him a couple more drainages before I could finish him.  He wasn't the big buck I was hoping for, but I still had an amazing hunt.  The Kaibab is definitely a cool place.

Sorry.  Can't figure out how to flip the pic.

• Like 6