Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

How are we supposed to get our kid's hunter's education in?

https://www.register-ed.com/programs/arizona/112-arizona-hunter-education-course

Anyone hear when the next one is scheduled?  I have a 9 year old who wants to put in for elk (will be 10 by the time elk hunt is held). I am sure many others are in the same boat.  Sorry, if someone else posted on this topic already.

• Like 1

I'm not positive, but I thought I read somewhere that as long as they completed the online portion, they were kind of waiving the field day requirement if there were no classes.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PhxDT said:

Anyone hear when the next one is scheduled?  I have a 9 year old who wants to put in for elk (will be 10 by the time elk hunt is held). I am sure many others are in the same boat.  Sorry, if someone else posted on this topic already.

If all else fails, call 623 -36-7235, or email azhuntereducation@azgfd.gov.

From AGFD:

Hunter Education Health and Safety: COVID-19

To ensure the safety of our students, volunteers and staff, many Hunter Education classroom courses, field days and bonus point field tests have been postponed. A limited number of small field days and bonus point field tests that adhere to CDC guidelines may be held, based on volunteer instructor availability. Should classes become available, they will be posted to the Department’s Hunter Education page, and further information will be provided to previously registered students.

To ensure youth ages 10 through 13 who have big game tags for upcoming hunts are able to participate in that hunt, AZGFD will allow them to defer completion of the required, in-person portion of Hunter Education for up to one year from the online certification date. To be eligible for the deferment, they must meet the following criteria:

1. The youth hunter is 10 through 13 years of age and has completed the AZGFD online Hunter Education course.
2. The youth hunter has an upcoming big game hunt tag.
3. The youth hunter will be accompanied by a licensed adult on the hunt.
4. The youth hunter must carry a copy of their online certification (AZ Field Day Qualification Exam Certificate) during the hunt.

• Like 4

As usual Tony has the info from the AZGFD at the ready, good job Tony!

The only thing I will add, and only because there are often misunderstandings about it, is that it is NOT necessary for the applicant to have completed Hunter Education prior to applying for a permit; only that the Hunter Education Certification needs to be obtained and carried in the field at the time of and during the hunt.  

Good Luck to all!

Jim Rich

MV, AZ

7 minutes ago, AZJR said:

As usual Tony has the info from the AZGFD at the ready, good job Tony

Yup. Called research, as you well know. Been doing a bit of it over the last 50+ years. 

886179302_image(10).png.f4cc8ceca3ceeeb5f2ebf84781ec4cd4.png

Tony is correct with that information.  We instructors have a huge backlog of students needing the course.  As long as the youth have completed the online portion of a class, their field day is waived for a year.

No, you don't have to have the course completed to apply for the hunt; just completed prior to the hunt starting.  If you know you're kid will be hunting, I highly recommend getting them through a class as soon as they turn 9 and not waiting until they get drawn.  I've lost track of how many calls and emails I've gotten along the lines of: "My kid got drawn and now I need you to put on a class for us before his hunt starts next week."  And I've had some parents get downright mean and nasty at me when I tell them I'm not available to organize a last-minute course.  Only once have I fired back unprofessionally, and that was after the mom made it personal.

I am trying to get a new license for my grandson online and can't figure out how to do it. He is 10 yrs old and got his first combo license last year. The G&F web page asks for username or email and password. He has neither of these, just a G&F ID that he got last year. I waited on the phone for a half hour today to talk to the lady in Licensing. She said that I should be able to add him to my portal acct , but wasn't sure how... I don't see anything in my Portal to do it either.

Anyone gone through this and know how to get through the website to get a youth's 2nd license? 

Just got my oldest through the course. I was actually impressed by the content. I’m just glad we don’t have to stress about going to classroom portion too. 

52 minutes ago, azbow said:

I am trying to get a new license for my grandson online and can't figure out how to do it. He is 10 yrs old and got his first combo license last year. The G&F web page asks for username or email and password. He has neither of these, just a G&F ID that he got last year. I waited on the phone for a half hour today to talk to the lady in Licensing. She said that I should be able to add him to my portal acct , but wasn't sure how... I don't see anything in my Portal to do it either.

Anyone gone through this and know how to get through the website to get a youth's 2nd license? 

I created a separate account for my son under another email address. Worked like a champ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcshorthairs said:

I created a separate account for my son under another email address. Worked like a champ

Same here. I have separate accounts for both of my kids and use them for buying their licenses. 

14 hours ago, azbow said:

Again, how old? I was told that they have to be 13 to have an account.

That is what it used to be. Not anymore.