AzDiamondHeat

Are the snakes stil out?

headed out tomorrow to chase quail, I hope I dont encounter one.  That  tends to ruin my day's success ratio, cause I dont do well quail hunting when I keep staring at the ground right  in front of me....

Almost stepped on a very small gopher snake last night while walking the dog. They’re still out. 

2 hours ago, daryl_s said:

Almost stepped on a very small gopher snake last night while walking the dog. They’re still out. 

Hopefully  you spared him... I saw numerous gophers killed in the neighborhood this  past spring by all the snake haters down my road ... I had an honest 5 footer show up at a family party , had  men saying" that  thing will mess you up".  I picked it p and slid it over the fence into the wash to continue eating the dang  ground squirrels that keep ruining my so called landscape.   Rattlers. however, get to meet Mr. Shovel.

• Like 4

Saw a 18" diamondback 2 days ago at 4000 ft in central AZ at 10 am. Guy in the other lane got it. 

Have seen them a few times during late rifle bull hunts in 6A on the black lava rock around 3 in the afternoon. 

I'm not sure there's ever a time in AZ when you might not see a rattlesnake unless there's a foot of snow on the ground and it's 0 degs. One year way back I was hunting javelina just west of SR77 & the San Carlos res. It was either late Feb. or early March. So one morning after a rather cold night, I was working my way thru the bottom of a canyon and came to an area that had lots of tall, thick brush and large rocks that I had to meander thru. I was pushing my way thru sort of sideways, using my shoulder to deflect the branches and happened to look down. There, spread lenghtwise sunning itself on a big flat rock, was a 3' rattler, and as I put my right foot down about 10-15 inches away, it lashed out. I was fortunate it wasn't coiled because the strike came up a bit short. But, as I jumped back, I screamed like a little girl, just thinking I had been nailed. A few seconds later, a guy yelled, "Are you Ok?" He was on the canyon rim above me and heard my little scream. Before I could shoot the snake, it disappeared into a crevice between the rocks, which was likely its winter den.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

Hopefully  you spared him... I saw numerous gophers killed in the neighborhood this  past spring by all the snake haters down my road ... I had an honest 5 footer show up at a family party , had  men saying" that  thing will mess you up".  I picked it p and slid it over the fence into the wash to continue eating the dang  ground squirrels that keep ruining my so called landscape.   Rattlers. however, get to meet Mr. Shovel.

Yep, the good guys get to stay and do their thing. Fortunately most of the snakes I saw this year in the neighborhood were gopher snakes. Seems like they’ve been doing really well the last few years around my neck of the woods. 

• Like 1

on a late quail hunt Dad and I went to our spot north of wickenburg that we hit almost every weekend. It had rained and snowed the night before. Walking down the same wash that we did for the last 15+ years there lied an arrow head. shoot my lucky day. we got a few quail but not many. so we head over to a spot by lake pleasant in the afternoon. snow on the side of this hill we were on about 100 feet lower it was melted. sun was hot.

so walking along I looked down as I stepped right on a small rattle snake. I got bit but the snake luckly got my pant leg and not skin. it was wiggling to get unhooked. took 410 shot it off, ruined a good pair of jeans. had some red broken skin from the shotgun blast on my leg Dad insisted we go to ER. on the way to ER I happened to see  nice place for calling. pulled over started calling called in a fox and ended up finishing our limit of quail. have the fox mounted with the last 3 quail I shot, never went to ER, figured if it got looking nasty or I got sick I would.

yeah there out there soaking up the sun stretched out in the sun when its hot even with snow on the ground a few hundred feet away.

I hate snakes, always thought I was safe in the winter time.

• Like 2

For those nasty grass seeds you need gaiters any way.  I have a pair of gortex gaiters, they are hot, but keeps those sharp things out of my socks and ankles.  😷