U.T.A.H. Camp

Bird law in this country—it's not governed by reason. 

I found this unlucky guy caught in the thorny bramble of a mesquite tree. I was wondering what the CWT community thought on bird (owl) feathers and other interesting parts - does anyone know the laws regarding possession of such things? 

20201030_123156.jpg

Good question, got to be a sticky area to dive into.

• Like 1

Amanda (site owner) is literally a biologist who specializes in OWLS!!  Like, a bona fide owl expert!! 😂   

Maybe she'll see this and chime-in.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

Unless you are a card carrying member of a native american tribe, posession of raptor feathers, bones, talons is a no-no.  It is federal law.

But yet you can own a live raptor.

. An Arizona Sport Falconry license permits a person to capture, possess, train, and transport a raptor for the purpose of sport falconry in compliance with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Endangered Species Act of 1973.

1. The sport falconry license validates the appropriate license for hunting or taking quarry with a trained raptor. When taking quarry using a raptor, a person must possess a valid: a. Sport falconry license, and b. Appropriate hunting license.

2 hours ago, Edge said:

But yet you can own a live raptor.

. An Arizona Sport Falconry license permits a person to capture, possess, train, and transport a raptor for the purpose of sport falconry in compliance with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Endangered Species Act of 1973.

1. The sport falconry license validates the appropriate license for hunting or taking quarry with a trained raptor. When taking quarry using a raptor, a person must possess a valid: a. Sport falconry license, and b. Appropriate hunting license.

What if I own a raptor legally then over night it dies in its cage ? Under a Biden admin am I hosed ??

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

I hate owls. They are nasty and leave chit all over my haystacks. 

It’s not chit. It’s liquid mice

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, oz31p said:

What if I own a raptor legally then over night it dies in its cage ? Under a Biden admin am I hosed ??

Under a Biden Admin, we're all hosed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Edge said:

Under a Biden Admin, we're all hosed.

But I’m mostly concerned with me