PRDATR

Someone filed for Unemployment using my name and SSN

My office just told me that the Department of Unemployment sent them a letter that I filed for unemployment however it wasn't me. Anyone have their identity stolen? I am trying to contact unemployment now and am on hold but I sent them an email.

I had something similar happen to me in 1998. Someone used my social sec# for an ambulance ride and ems in Casa Grande. The only thing that saved me was the receipt from a doctor in Dolores Colorado as I was getting stitched up at the same approximate time and on the same date. It still took me months to get it all square and the ambulance company tried taking me to collections over a year after the incident. I hope your situation is smoother and good luck. 

• Like 1

That sucks on both cases.........it really takes a lot to get technology screw ups like this fixed!!!!! Gotta be relentless.................

I had somebody up in Colorado that had a Montgomery Ward credit card with my name on it and all my info.....mailing address, phone number.....this was back before cell phone technology! I kept getting sent to the collection agency and getting calls with me just repeating myself over and over again about how that wasn't me in Colorado! I had to send proof of employment in AZ, physical address.....it was a mess that lasted for probably 3 years....................

• Like 2

this happened to my wife this morning too.... but the funny thing is, she handles the unemployment for her little company she works for.  She said  she got an emial, so clicked on it. Was pretty upset when she seen her name as the recipient.

Put a freeze on your credit with all three credit bureaus. Equifax, Experian and Transunion. You can lock credit with a PIN. It isn’t a cure all but is a good first step to protect yourself. 

Had a friend have a similar situation. It took him a looong time to fix it. Take all precautions. 

My wife had her identity stolen about five years ago.

Someone up in Montana was issued a legitimate 100% correct SS number.....my wife's number! Very similar name too. Luckily this person only opened a few lines of credit and actually paid them and kept the accounts current. 

The officer at the SS office here in Tucson told me unofficially that it was probably a SS card that was issued by an actual SS official in Montana....."incorrectly" as in the officer sold it.

Now we are issued a PIN for our taxes every year. PIA.

5 hours ago, More D said:

My wife had her identity stolen about five years ago.

Someone up in Montana was issued a legitimate 100% correct SS number.....my wife's number! Very similar name too. Luckily this person only opened a few lines of credit and actually paid them and kept the accounts current. 

The officer at the SS office here in Tucson told me unofficially that it was probably a SS card that was issued by an actual SS official in Montana....."incorrectly" as in the officer sold it.

Now we are issued a PIN for our taxes every year. PIA.

I contacted all three credit agencies, and had a Credit Freeze put on.

As Mentioned its not perfect but a credit freeze is one of the best things that can be done. Especially with the big hack that Equifax got a couple of years ago. there is no telling how many social security numbers are out there on the dark web. 

• Like 1