Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

How to deal with bad taxidermy???

I am literally asking for a friend. Who, how does one report a taxidermy business that is screwing someone over? Example, took deposit and game and not returning calls, texts over a year later. The business is doing the same to others and has had a family falling out amongst each other and is basically defunct at this point. All the couple wants is there horns back at this point. Is there a state agency they can report them to? I have only had good luck with the limited dealings with taxidermist I’ve used but never dealt with this one so I’m no help to them. Thanks

I had some trouble a long time ago with a local guy and told my friend about it -- He went there anyway.  He is quite well to do and got to hunting A LOT, including Africa and Canada.  He had a ton of stuff into this same guy.  He heard some troubling rumors and started going elsewhere.  When this taxidermist found out, he confronted my friend.  Well along with a great big burly enforcer, my friend promptly retrieved all his stuff that was in work at this taxidermist.  But it took a personal confrontation to get it all back.  So ... there you go.

Not much state agencies can do. Friends in similar situations have had luck showing up on taxidermist's doorstep. It is much harder to ignore someone when they are face to face. 

Beyond that, you really need to be warning people on social media. These bad taxidermists will keep taking people's money to try to stay afloat long past the point of no return. 

• Like 1

I agree.  Save the time and frustration for the next guy

• Like 1

Bad taxidermists need to be put on blast. There is no room for them. 

• Like 3

I've been very lucky over the years.   I've had a few buddies with issues.    If you have someone that isn't doing a good job then let us know.   No need to bring a guy work if he is a flake.   Lots of good taxidermists out there.   

How long is too long?  I dropped a bear off at a well known local taxidermist 15 months ago.  I have called three times and each time he acts like I am annoying him by asking when I can expect it to be finished.  

I got tired of bad taxidermy and no communication. I have been using a guy that is close to 3 hours from me now, but well worth the trip out of the valley. Everything is done in 8-9 months and zero hassle. Found him out of necessity on a warm goat hunt and between my family and my hunting friends probably have taken him a dozen animals since 2015 and each time just perfect and exactly how we drew it up.