Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

SOLD - "BUCKS I HAVE TAKEN" by Jay Gates

This UNREAD, hardcover autographed copy of BUCKS I HAVE TAKEN (And Bucks That Got Away) was signed and given to me by Jay Gates in 1988. Lots of big buck photos.  I will include the personal letter on his letterhead to me when Jay sent the book. I believe he's at least in his 70s now and lives in Chino Valley, AZThis a a rare book. A new one like mine is listed on Amazon at more than $900!

Deer Hunting Legend: Jay Gates

I will consider reasonable offers but no trades. Payment via PayPal (buyer doesn't need an acct; just a CC or checking acct.) or cash only. Must be picked up near 67th Ave. & Camelback or shipped at buyer's expense.

$150  SOLD

The signature says. "Tony-- To the best outdoor writer in Arizona (and one of the best anywhere), Hope you have many successful deer seasons -Jay Gates"

gates.jpg.4ac1656f8809677638a704af003c3ebf.jpg

Jay Gates was raised in the hunting lifestyle in Kingman, Arizona. By 1979, he’d taken his first deer slam (four species of deer—mule, blacktail, whitetail, coues—in one season), and then did it four more times.  Once Sitkas were added to the slam, Jay took all five species for his fifth slam, something only a few hunters had done at the time.  Jay is an official scorer for P&Y and B&C, and had been covered in all the main hunting mags of the day. He also spoke at all the major sportsman’s groups and conventions.

The forward of the book was written by none other than Craig Boddington, a testament to Jay’s popularity of the day.

While the book covers all species of North American deer, any mule deer hunter would be wise to read it.  Jay had killed over 130 deer (50 of those were mule deer) by press time.

• Like 3

Jay & Karen live in Chino Valley.  He wrote a second book a few years back., which added another 30 or40 Bucks.  I'm sure copies are still available.

He has the Greatest collection of Trophy North American Deer species.  Has to be seen to be believed.

Edited by Couesnut
add context

49 minutes ago, Couesnut said:

Jay & Karen live in Chino Valley.  He wrote a second book a few years back., which added another 30 or40 Bucks.  I'm sure copies are still available.

He has the Greatest collection of Trophy North American Deer species.  Has to be seen to be believed.

It's been many years since I last spoke with him. Good to hear he's still kicking. Us older guys have to root for each other. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Couesnut said:

He wrote a second book a few years back., which added another 30 or40 Bucks.  I'm sure copies are still available.

Okay, I searched all over and can't find that 2nd book. Any idea of the title????

19 minutes ago, Nitemann said:

Thank You!!

BUT...something weird is going on. Even a 'google' search on the title comes up empty. Same for Amazon. I guess it's even rarer than the title I have. 🤣

I did find his phone #, so maybe I'll give him a call. 

It states it's self published and only 150 copies so probably not going to find many out there. I bought the copy you have when they first came out for $19.95. Great book and awesome guy. Did not realize he had moved from Kingman to Chino Valley.

45 minutes ago, Nitemann said:

It states it's self published and only 150 copies so probably not going to find many out there. I bought the copy you have when they first came out for $19.95. Great book and awesome guy. Did not realize he had moved from Kingman to Chino Valley.

150 copies aren't a lot of books. They'll surely be collector's items years from now. I wonder how many of the one I have were printed. There are a few on Amazon for $98 used on up.  

I believe he did a couple runs so thinking more than 150. The first one I got he sent with a note that it has errors that were missed during editing and he was going to send me another copy when the correct books came in , which he did. I foolishly gave the first copy to a friend which I should of kept. After seeing all the books your posting I had to go check my collection to see if any were missing (grin). Looks like we have good taste.

3 minutes ago, Nitemann said:

I believe he did a couple runs so thinking more than 150. The first one I got he sent with a note that it has errors that were missed during editing and he was going to send me another copy when the correct books came in , which he did. I foolishly gave the first copy to a friend which I should of kept. After seeing all the books your posting I had to go check my collection to see if any were missing (grin). Looks like we have good taste.

Well, you're going to see a LOT more books for sale here in the future. In my office behind one of the desks is a 10' long wall that is all bookcase from floor to ceiling (about 80 sq. feet) , and the shelves are literally overflowing with mostly hunting, fishing and firearms related tomes. Right now, I'm concentrating more on the collectable types. So stay tuned....😎