Hunter4Life09

Best bipod

I used a Harris for years. Never had a problem with it. 
I switched to a Hatch Outdoors bipod this year but haven’t had a chance to get out and actually hunt with it yet. Just messing around with it at home I really like it. It cost twice as much as a Harris though, maybe even more. 

On 11/5/2020 at 10:23 AM, Hunter4Life09 said:

What is everyone using for Bipods your long range setups, I’m looking for something that is light weight and not going to break the bank.

I like my Magpul from amazon. Pricey though.

Modular Evolution, Atlas, Thunderbeast, Cykepod, and Harris for the standby.

I don't use a bipod hunting any more, I run a tripod. Took my elk at 590 yards this year and my sitka at 575 last year. It is so hard to find a good place to lay down prone in Alaska, Arizona, and Colorado. 

• Like 1

I like my harris it does well. But in AZ hard to find good place to shoot. I have been trying new things like using shooting sticks primos mono/bi/ and tripods. Have also been trying my outdoorsman shooting V on my optics hunter frame, but my favorite lately have been my outdoorsmans shooting V on my tripod but its a pain to switch out binos or spotter to go to the V.

No offense to the dude above but I look at that set up with the bag on the tripod idk that looks like a pain to setup in the moment. I like this, I put the trigger guard just inside the back V and the back and the front are rested 

C29CB712-312A-4821-A1E8-58FD9D6DB651.png

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 5:25 PM, trphyhntr said:

No offense to the dude above but I look at that set up with the bag on the tripod idk that looks like a pain to setup in the moment. I like this, I put the trigger guard just inside the back V and the back and the front are rested 

C29CB712-312A-4821-A1E8-58FD9D6DB651.png

No offense taken. Tripod shooting was bleeding edge sort of stuff a year or two ago. Its only cutting edge now. We live in an amazing time for precision rifle and long range. I really love to share the new exciting stuff that is coming out.

Tripod shooting is a very new skill, and still developing. I will throw out a "humble brag" cause it isn't something I figured out on my own... I got really lucky and trained in Texas with a lead instructor for the Marine Urban Sniper training ( https://www.rauchprecision.com/training ) who is/was professional associated with Hog Saddle as an instructor, and with a lead instructor for special forces sniper training detachment (got to fly to  CO and shoot with him on base). I'm just a noob who made some cool connections through Facebook with other passionate guys and took the time to fly and train with them. It also helps that I make shooting bags that they buy and use for their training, hunting, and professional use. I also make the shooting bags for Hat Creek Training, a premier mountain/high angle precision rifle training facility. Just shipped 25 before Thanksgiving for a new class starting today.

https://www.facebook.com/HatCreekTraining/photos/a.2259957187366689/3541380012557727/

Not many people have seen or understand how fast and easy it is to set up for a tripod shot. I practice speed deployment of my tripod all the time. My legs are marked on my tripod. I could probably do it blindfolded. Many times, if I am already glassing, the time for me to switch from glass to a rifle shot is exceptionally quick. Often times, just changing the angle of one leg and mounting my rifle. The bags actually make it more flexible and quicker to set up and get on target. Having shot off something like you have before, and now learning to use a tripod, I know that I personally can shoot much more accurately off my tripod. In many positions I am as stable as prone. I'd bet I could set up and shoot as fast or faster than you'd ever suspect. If you've ever shot PRS type competitions, you know how fast you can get into a position and make 9 shots on multiple targets all in 90 seconds or less. I would not have believed it myself a few years ago. It is a sport and I'd never carry a match rifle hunting, but a lot of it directly translates to hunting.

And, even the technology has changed. My current tripod and ballhead set up is something that I'd bet the vast majority of hunters have never seen. 

With distance, quite often comes time and opportunity, so setting up is usually not a time crunch. I had a long time to set up there in Alaska. On my buddy's sitka, we were hiking to a new spot when he saw the deer. I had it all out of my pack and set up with the shot taken in less than 2 minutes at 575.

If you want to see what guys are doing with tripods, here is a pretty good tutorial about it.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/field-match-tips-tricks-and-stage-examples-for-ukd-team-field-match.6980614/post-8495271

I should put my money where my mouth is and do a video showing at least one typical deployment of my tripod...

I've said some bold things in this thread and another, so I am prepared to eat my hat in shame if necessary.

Anyone who wants to come play, I have calendared shooting Saturday, January 30, 2021 9:00 am until we've had enough fun. If it is just a couple people, we can hike and shoot rocks. If there is a bigger group, then I can find somewhere to set up steel at increments out to 1000 yards. We can do it out between Gila Bend and Maricopa, accessible to East and West siders.

PM me if you are in. To anyone who beats me--we can make the rules up as we go--I will give you a shooting bag.

If people just want to come shoot, they are welcome to come see me eat my hat in shame. I can show you what I know within my competency. I'd welcome any others who know more than me to be there and chime in. Its gonna be informal.