Delw

.338 winmag

So who has them and shoots them at long Range. I wanna here about it.

A friend and I were talking today about them. but never tried them other than when we were younger.

My dads buddies had them mainly in the semi auto brownings if I recall. I shot theres often when I was 12-18. Other than being beautiful rifles I could never hit crap with them, they didnt like the accuracy but loved the gun that was 40-50 years ago. Bullet availability has changed 10 folds in that time.

so who has them in bolt guns and shoots them?  is it a viable option or is the drop way to much. I havent looked at ballistics for maybe 20-30 years on those. elt alone thought about them until today.

I have one a howa 1500 changed the barrel to 28 inches long 1-9 3/4 twist

likes the 225 sstbp mag primer 72 grains h4831sc does wonders upto 1800 meters

with a 300 hpbt mag primer 78 grains of h4831sc  almost does the same as the 225 

I neck size only and the bullets engage the rifling then the case slides up.

had no problem with overpressure the kick not bad well not as bad has my 460 whby

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, 50Caliber said:

I neck size only and the bullets engage the rifling then the case slides up.

had no problem with overpressure 

So what happens when you have to eject an unfired round and you pull the bolt back and leave the bullet stuck in the lands?  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

So what happens when you have to eject an unfired round and you pull the bolt back and leave the bullet stuck in the lands?  

well so far has not happened yet knock on wood. but if it does ether use a skinny stick if in woods hunting or at range use the cleaning rod to knock out the slug. and yes I know the some full size and swear by it and some neck size for their rounds fired out of their bolt action rifles. But doubt it will happen pretty much double check every step from the sizing die to crimp But Murphy's law rules 

This is a new reloading method I have not heard of.  

So you neck size, seat the bullet long, crimp, and then chamber the round and still get the bullet to seat deeper?  How hard does the bolt close?  

2 hours ago, 50Caliber said:

well so far has not happened yet knock on wood. but if it does ether use a skinny stick if in woods hunting or at range use the cleaning rod to knock out the slug. and yes I know the some full size and swear by it and some neck size for their rounds fired out of their bolt action rifles. But doubt it will happen pretty much double check every step from the sizing die to crimp But Murphy's law rules 

What happens when the bullet pulls out, spills powder all inside your action. Then later that day you go to take a shot at a cow elk, and your rifle doesn't work because your trigger is jammed up with powder.

It happened to a buddy of mine about 5 years ago. He was shooting HSM ammo and it was seated long enough to jamb in his rifling. It pulled the bullet out as he would try and extract a live round. 

Delw, what is long range to you? I have not shot a 338 win mag at long ranges, but at normal 500 and under my dads old one shot pretty well. I have thought about stealing it from him and trying it out with some of the new cool guy bullets they have available now. 

Long range to me is anything over 700 yards.

buddy and I were just talking about .338s a while back(when I posted ) and I was curious as you dont hear much about a .338 WM. lots of .300WMs and some old wildcats being the norm now.

I dont shoot targets or steel just yotes and p dogs.

the bullets out today I am thinking would open up alot of possibilities. Back in the 70s when all my dads buddies bought them, they hunted elk with them but shots were generally under 100 yards in western Washington few guy s bought them for black bear but others bought them for bears in Alaska. to be honest I dont think I ever saw a bolt action .338 winmag till I moved to AZ. buddy of mine from Randals (big Dave for those who remember him) I believe he had a old sako and a rem 700bdl in one I shot one of them a few times shooting p-dogs but that was back in the mid 80's..   most of dads buddies were buying the .338 semi auto brownings for brush guns to shoot through the brush in western Washington. Guess it was then in thing back in the 70's.

.338WM is a case the same size as the 7RM.  I sure wish it was a .300WM case size.  

.338WM, to push a 250gr bullet, really suffers in velocity.  A 300 grain bullet is even slower.  Making a .300WM pushing a 230 a much more viable option for LR shooting.  

• Like 1

I338_handloads_chart.jpg.87e70cbab456858cfe7250f8822b4167.jpg

I picked up a T C Encore with a 26" 1:10 MGM fluted stainless barrel. It's topped off with a 3x9 Nikon but I want to put my 4.5x14 Nikon in its place.

Came with boxes of 225gr Federals and 250gr Remington.

Probably shooting it Wednesday for first time.

8 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

What happens when the bullet pulls out, spills powder all inside your action. Then later that day you go to take a shot at a cow elk, and your rifle doesn't work because your trigger is jammed up with powder.

It happened to a buddy of mine about 5 years ago. He was shooting HSM ammo and it was seated long enough to jamb in his rifling. It pulled the bullet out as he would try and extract a live round. 

see murphy's law what will go wrong will go wrong at the most wrong time. Has not happen yet and as above knock on wood but since you stated powder jammed up the works will try to remember to carry a can of air to blow out the action

9 hours ago, Delw said:

to be honest I dont think I ever saw a bolt action .338 winmag till I moved to AZ. buddy of mine from Randals (big Dave for those who remember him) I believe he had a old sako and a rem 700bdl in one I shot one of them a few times shooting p-dogs but that was back in the mid 80's..   most of dads buddies were buying the .338 semi auto brownings for brush guns to shoot through the brush in western Washington. Guess it was then in thing back in the 70's.

I owned a Browning A-bolt in the 1980s. Got it specifically for a grizzly hunt in BC. Never saw a boar grizz but did shoot two black bears with the .338, using 225-gr Winchester factory loads; both DRT. Farthest was about 100 yds, however. One (r.) was over 7' from nose to tail. It was the only time I used anything but my .264 WM for a BC bear.

2013156436_I139291.jpg.ed4e6d5e16530529638c33a19ec12a93.jpg 1558138065_I139301.jpg.4e48ce4081d0a932bfa2c8c937f591cd.jpg

I eventually sold the rifle and some ammo to a local Phoenix dude who later used it in a stand off with the Phx police. Fortunately, no one was injured in that fiasco. When I saw the news article, I called the police because the original sale would show me as the buyer, but I had a signed bill of sale showing the transfer to the dingaling. Nothing ever came of it. 

• Like 2