Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Orchard Heater/Smudge Pot

Is anyone familiar with these? Where can I get one locally that isn't super expensive?

I gave mine away. We used to fire it up to heat up grease for cotton pickers on cold mornings. There used to be a lot on ebay. Prices were all over the board.

We used them quite a bit in the citrus orchards growing up in Yuma.

You can find them at times on craigslist for about $200 or so.

They work great but can get messy with the ash.

Just now, Huntnfish said:

Different kind of pot.😉

Haha, i just got done googling it. Didnt even know that was a thing.  Must get pricey for an orchard owner. 

3 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Is anyone familiar with these? Where can I get one locally that isn't super expensive?

Are your trees not going dormant because of the heat this year? My apricots started flowering a week ago! Weird stuff happening! I’m at 4,000+’ elevation and should be totally dormant with all my trees. I use old school Christmas lights wrapped around the trees in early spring to keep frost off. I’ll pry use them thruout winter this year. We had a freeze last week and it didn’t touch the blooming apricots. Again, weird year!

I want one to use as a heater in the back yard for sitting around and enjoying the cool air and drinking a beer, and for camping if we are ever allowed to have open fires again. 

I always have plenty of old cooking oil and other oils that are free fuel to that I want to utilize to get it out of my way.