muledeerarea33?

Who hear is a leader/boss?

Stanley's post is good. You have to have your guys back too and go to bat for them if higher-ups are being unfair as well. You're their first line of defense and they need to know that. Just be yourself and help them on their write ups if they need it and don't just sit behind the desk like a service writer. You'll be alright bud. Try it and see if you like it. 

• Like 1

Praise in public... punish in private. The good ones will know who got a talking too because the bad ones will either improve or talk crap about you when they leave your office. The good ones will respect you more and the bad ones will grow up or leave. 

You make more money than they do and they know that. Reward good behavior with something that comes from your pay check, not the procurement card. Randomly thank them by getting them Coffee, bagels, cook breakfast burros, small gift cards. Every once in awhile do the dirty jobs that the rookies normally do. 

Have fun! 

• Like 6

I have always looked at my crews as a team, I try to get the mentality of taking care of your teammates and not letting them down and not so much each individual trying to make me happy. The hard part is building the team when you are constrained by HR and are basically stuck with guys. In that case I pigeon hole non teammates and give them little responsibility so my base team gets most of the work but I can count on them and I take care of them. When I’m lucky the non teammates get rid of themselves. The big thing I have done over the years that helps get my guys to be teammates is I stand for them even when they screw up. I don’t name names and usually use my name or at the worst I say “WE” and if they need something I make it happen. 

• Like 2

Looks like you are getting plenty of advice here. I won’t add a whole lot but emphasize the difference between leader and manager. A couple practical things. Your job is to A) Provide direction B ) Remove roadblocks.

It doesn’t matter how technically sound your work is, now your job is to help people figure out how to be effective in their own way. So just telling people is not nearly as effective as helping people figure out how to figure things out their own way.

If you need more reading material I would suggest The First 90 Days. Great book for new managers and leaders. I still reference it often.

• Like 3

Train your team members but if they are not up to the task, be ready to let them go if they can't cut it.

If you are going to have 10-12 guys you probably can't manage them all directly at all times. You must find leaders underneath you to lead crews or work groups. You can't micro manage, and you must deligate tasks to those leaders. You must hold them accountable to get the tasks done to your standard and in the timeframe you give them. 

If your people don't get it done on time and to the standard it is on you. You can't blame them up the chain of command. Own it and figure out how to fix it. 

Ownership is key. Want some more reading or listening. Extreme Ownership by Jockl Willink. 

13 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Holy crap! I wasn’t expecting so many solid answers so quickly. Thanks guys, all of this is gold.

Agreed. I wish i had this forum a long time ago. Maybe i wouldnt ne so burnt out now.  Tons of great advice here.  

A big key to your success as a leader is training your people, and if you are in some form of production environment it will be key for you to make sure your guys have the tools, training, directions and material to do the job and to keep working. Your job is to make sure you are out ahead of them with getting things ordered and onsite and in front of them to keep going. 

Sometimes you will be the guy doing the menial tasks behind them or ahead of them to keep them rolling. 

I’ve found that communication is very important.  Before you send an email, reread it to yourself a few times and use whatever is in the tool bar to help you like spelling and grammar.  Send to someone else that’s smarter than you to review it before you send.  I’ve done that many times.  

When explaining things, look into their eyes, you can tell a lot about their understanding.  I’ve found that some people need to have things explained two or three different ways before they understand.  You will find there are people that are ask assertive and tell assertive.  I’m ask assertive, if someone asks me to do something, it’s the same as them telling me to do something.  It sometimes helps to ask them to repeat what you said if you’re worried about their understanding.

Watch your language.  It helps if you are one that doesn’t throw the big f word every day.  When you use it right, it drives a point home.  I’m sure a few here that are leaders/bosses know someone that doesn’t have a filter.  It doesn’t help if you’re trying to be a professional.

Try to be at least one or two steps ahead of the progress of your crew. Don't waste their time while they wait on answers you forgot to ask.

Is this a new venture or are you now a team leader for existing employment?

Watch your language.  It helps if you are one that doesn’t throw the big f word every day.  When you use it right, it drives a point home.  I’m sure a few here that are leaders/bosses know someone that doesn’t have a filter.  It doesn’t help if you’re trying to be a professional.

Bingo. Improve your language skills and your vocabulary.

Have some goals execute and get r done kinda like a hunting trip be personal basically real life for normal people and have fun!!!   It’s all temporary good luck and get some good folks!!!  Snowing like heck in Show Low every day is Saturday Yah I’m retired Yahoo!!!!!!  :)

Recognize that each person under you has their own set of problems in their personal life.  You'll soon spot the one's that can't keep the two separate.  Mentor the one's you feel you can get through to and get rid of the bullchitters as soon as possible, before they pee in the pool.  Watch for "that guy" who comes down with what my old boss called "the Budweiser flu" and leaves you hanging at the worst possible time.  You are now a role model-accept that and lead by example without being arrogant.  Congrats on the new position and I hope it gives you more time in the woods.

• Like 1

Good luck today and each day going forward! Congrats on the added responsibility.

• Like 1