Curtis Reed

Kodiak Tent - Initial Thoughts

I recently got my Kodiak Canvas 10x14 tent after a pretty long back order. Today I set it up so I could spray it down with water per the manufacturers instructions to “season” it. 

Setup was a breeze. I love canvas tents and had a Davis 12x14 for a while.  I have owned so many tents I can’t count... backpacking, hunting, family camping, 1 man, 6 man, shower tent....  This thing is a pleasure to set up!  It is truly a 1 man operation and a piece of cake. 

Quality!  The quality is probably the best i’ve seen in a tent. Even better than my Davis. Little details like rigid frames on the vent flap to keep it up off the outside of the tent for air flow.  The floor is really heavy duty and should last a lifetime with care.  

Waterproofing - Whatever they do to treat the canvas for waterproofing is amazing (see video).  It came like that out of the box. No addition. treatment needed.  I plan on heating it with my buddy heater, 30lb tank and a battery operated CO detector.  

Although I have no real world experience in it yet, I have been in enough tents to know this thing will easily last me 20 years. If anyone is on the fence about one of these tents, just buy it. You won’t regret the purchase. Now I just need to get drawn for early archery bull in 2021. 

126C2B2B-5DC6-4188-A5F1-A857E284F568.jpeg

• Like 6

I love mine.   Easy to set up and rugged as can be.    

They're great tents. I've had my 10'x10' a few years. No issues. The shade flap is pretty useless, especially in rain. I use a popup canopy out front. The canvas holds in the heat well.

• Like 1

We love ours, I will say from experience DO NOT let anything touch the sides inside the tent such as a cot. We were in Wyoming antelope hunting and wouldnt you know the wind blew. one of the corners of my wifes cot was touching and it wore a hole in the tent. Nothing a patch cant fix. Just thought I would pass it on.

I had mine up on the Kaibab on a fall turkey hunt, it rained like crazy non stop  one night.  Me and  friend were dry and toasty, the guys with us in a Coleman were soaked, frozen and miserable. One of them bought a Kodiak as soon as he got back.  Holds up to winds too.  Great tents.

A handy trick I found on You Tube is to get long lag screws with washers and use your battery powered impact wrench to screw in and out of the ground in replace of hammering the stakes in. Saves a lot of time, particularly with hard ground. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

2 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

I recently got my Kodiak Canvas 10x14 tent after a pretty long back order. Today I set it up so I could spray it down with water per the manufacturers instructions to “season” it. 

Setup was a breeze. I love canvas tents and had a Davis 12x14 for a while.  I have owned so many tents I can’t count... backpacking, hunting, family camping, 1 man, 6 man, shower tent....  This thing is a pleasure to set up!  It is truly a 1 man operation and a piece of cake. 

Quality!  The quality is probably the best i’ve seen in a tent. Even better than my Davis. Little details like rigid frames on the vent flap to keep it up off the outside of the tent for air flow.  The floor is really heavy duty and should last a lifetime with care.  

Waterproofing - Whatever they do to treat the canvas for waterproofing is amazing (see video).  It came like that out of the box. No addition. treatment needed.  I plan on heating it with my buddy heater, 30lb tank and a battery operated CO detector.  

Although I have no real world experience in it yet, I have been in enough tents to know this thing will easily last me 20 years. If anyone is on the fence about one of these tents, just buy it. You won’t regret the purchase. Now I just need to get drawn for early archery bull in 2021. 

126C2B2B-5DC6-4188-A5F1-A857E284F568.jpeg

IMG_1547.MOV

Do you think its possible to install a stove jack in the 10 x 14?

5 hours ago, Kelney said:

A handy trick I found on You Tube is to get long lag screws with washers and use your battery powered impact wrench to screw in and out of the ground in replace of hammering the stakes in. Saves a lot of time, particularly with hard ground. 

That is an awesom idea. I am stealing that for mine.

Buy a patch kit. I bought 1 frim kodiak and have used it on several pinholes. Also try and always use a tarp or something under it to protect the bottom. 

A cordless vacuum makes cleaning the inside a breeze too. 

When covid happened we set up my Kodiak in the back yard for probably a month. We went on backyard camping trips, and the kids used it as a fort. They are awesome tents. 

Here's mine.  Just a couple trips in on it, but easily the best tent I've owned.  Sturdy, easy to set up.  I got the 10x10 though.  Almost wish I'd of picked up the larger one, but this one is "good enough" room for 2 people, and the big buddy heater keeps it relatively warm.

20171026_024628.thumb.jpg.896380df31c5e8c619534a9696c7f910.jpg

20171026_132200b.jpg.c60b4ed1bd6349549a203bf229a25d37.jpg

• Like 4