Sign in to follow this  
Yuma Outdoorsman

Nephew’s First Buck

I shared my photo last night of a buck I was able to take but the highlight of my weekend was seeing this big ol buck my nephew Deagan was able to take. He just turned 10 earlier this year and was able to do the hunter’s safety online. 

We had a waterhole being used pretty regularly and had a solid 3x3 buck that was coming in consistently every other morning, even with the cooler weather. I told my brother in law, the best opportunity to get Deagan a shot would be to sit a trail on this drinker and have him get that 3x3. He agreed.

Friday morning, they got up at 4:30 and drove to the waterhole. They parked 700 yards  south of the waterhole and walked in slowly. First light came and nothing showed to the drinker. At first light, Deagan told his dad “hey I think I can hear something coming.” My brother in law Joe told him he didn’t hear anything but to keep his eyes open and try to stay quiet. 30 seconds later, this buck stepped out. Joe ranged him at 150 yards and Deagan said he had him in the scope. Deagan shot the first time and shot over his back. Being in a small canyon, the echo caused some confusion for the buck and he just stood there looking around. Deagan jacked another shell in and dropped the buck on his next shot, never needing to shoot again. Joe said Deagan jumped up and started fist pumping the air and was going crazy. What a great father/son moment they were able to experience. Best part is, they thought he had shot the nice 3x3 and instead it was a beautiful 4x4 that just happened to be the biggest buck using this waterhole. Deagan is hooked for life.  

I’ve attached a photo and video of this buck from before the hunt. 

5E26835E-F1E7-437C-990C-594A8271A9C0.jpeg

C72B0233-6AF1-4C91-A668-33D6F06808CA.jpeg

221BE534-860D-46EC-9F7C-26EB6FD1A07F.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Great Buck! 3

Congrats to Deagan! Father/Son moments are the best! My son shot an elk on a youth hunt and two weeks later a buck. First for both and I was there for both.....great times for sure!

What a cool story and cool first deer. Boy seems like a natural.... I'll just get em with the second shot lol. Sounds like a bunch of great memories made, congratulations to all.  Man that drinker must be getting low....