Sign in to follow this  
bigorange

Steel case vs brass case ammo

I know I can probably Google this, but lots of knowledgeable folks here and it could ...what’s your experience with steel case ammo vs brass? I know some folks who say not to shoot steel case and others say it depends on the gun. Seems others don’t cafe one way or the other. 

Too many "it depends" to answer that.  If you are shooting it in a AK or similar and you don't reload then blast away.  For ME, I would never shoot it in anything I care about. That and I try to save all my brass for reloading.

I am just not a fan of "cheap" stuff. It is "cheap" for a reason.

• Like 1

The only problems I’ve had with steel cased ammo is the lacquer coating that’s placed on the cases. If you shoot enough the lacquer gets gummed up in the chamber which can cause malfunctions. Might affect your liability on a semi auto rifle. But for the most part steel cased ammo is good to go

• Like 1

I managed to round off my extractor on a glock with steel case ammo.  Other than that, I have never had an issue.  I do not recall exactly how many rounds it was, but IIRC it was around 10-12k rounds before it started to have failure to extract issues.  I still shoot it regularly because extractors are cheap and easy to replace if it happens again.  

In an al or asks sure. Steel case all day. Anything else, no thanks. 

My dad used to have an AR that wouldn't even chamber steel case ammo because the chamber was to tight. Brass was fine, steel was a no go. 

If the chamber on your AR isnt chrome lined you may get stuck cases. 

I have a 5.45x39 AR nothing fancy, no chrome lining, it has 3k down the pipe, mostly all Russian or Bulgarian surplus all corrosive primed, all steel...runs like a watch, shoots about 3moa with surplus ammo. recently Hornady made brass, bullets an dies available for this cartridge, shoots sub moa with hand loads...been pulling bullets from surplus an loading good bullets on the steel cases for coyotes (don't have to chase my brass) sub moa as well, case capacity is a little less,

Our military uses steel cases for most all the big stuff, 20 an 30mm etc 🤷‍♂️

your mileage may vary, but in today's ammo market...