Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

7mm Rem mag ammo selection question

Searching the federal ammo website comparing the 150 grain and 175 power shok options. The 150 is rated for medium game and the 175. They have the same bullet type. The energy doesn’t seem to be significantly different. What am I missing?. Why does the 175 grain deserve a designation suitable for big game and the 150 does not. Assuming I have my heart set on using federal power shok ammo why shouldn’t I use the 150 grain for elk. What am I missing? What am I not thinking about? 

5AE6D69B-898B-4147-95AF-C14F13D8DF1C.jpeg

9702220F-705E-473E-A5C6-0CDEE7A43C4E.jpeg

9F84DD0A-4E77-4BE5-8FCF-4200A57268E7.jpeg

Would probably come down to which one groups better in your gun? I wouldn't be afraid to use the 150 for elk.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DUG said:

Would probably come down to which one groups better in your gun? I wouldn't be afraid to use the 150 for elk.

Thanks! 

Sectional density, higher BC for retained energy on game at distance, retained bullet weight on game after expansion.   

• Like 1

If you are thinking about this for this year good luck finding much. 

I was at sportsman's today and they are gutted of ammo. They didnt have a single box of 3006 on the shelf. 

As for your question, try both and shoot what your rifle groups better. Then put the bullet in the boiler room. My buddy and I's cow elk last season went down to a 135gr bullet from a 6.5x55 with alot less energy than a 7mm is capable of. 

Don't over think it. Place your shot you will be good. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Sectional density, higher BC for retained energy on game at distance, retained bullet weight on game after expansion.   

Good points to ponder. Thanks. 

33 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

If you are thinking about this for this year good luck finding much. 

I was at sportsman's today and they are gutted of ammo. They didnt have a single box of 3006 on the shelf. 

As for your question, try both and shoot what your rifle groups better. Then put the bullet in the boiler room. My buddy and I's cow elk last season went down to a 135gr bullet from a 6.5x55 with alot less energy than a 7mm is capable of. 

Don't over think it. Place your shot you will be good. 

Fortunately/unfortunately I don’t have any hunts coming up that I need them for so I have some time to scrounge up some. Or at least I hope to be able too. 

If the sole plan is elk, make sure you are getting a good bullet that shoots well in your rifle. If the ranges are under 500 yards a nosler Partition is hard to beat for toughness on a big animal. Power shok may be a decent bullets, but for a dedicated elk round find something tough that shoots well. 

• Like 1