Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Question about Berger Hybrids

Hello,

i reload with Bergers 30 cal 210 gr VLD Hunting, somebody told me that the 215 hybrids are better, if anybody knows, what are the difference on those 2 bullets, one is 210 the other is 215.

Thank you for the input.

I truly don’t know the difference bettween the two but  the 215 seem to shoot better. On game they are both hammers . 

exit wounds look like molten tennis balls out 700ish 

Not sure the difference in bullet construction but I havent found a rifle yet that likes the 210s.

I have seen the 215s shoot out of every rifle I have tried it in. They seem to be a fast for size bullet too. Also they are downright deadly on game in my experience. 

The differences between the hunting VLDs and the Target Hybrids are twofold. 

The nose profile of the VLDs are a secant ogive design.  They can be sensitive to jump, and need a bit of tuning to shoot their best.  The Hybrids are a hybrid design between a secant and tangent ogive shape.  Easier to tune, and not nearly as jump sensitive.

The jacket thickness between the hunting and target bullets is the other difference.  The target bullets have a slightly thicker jacket than the hunting lines.  To me, that translates to them holding together a touch better on impact.

The 215 Hybrids are probably one of the best .30 cal bullets you could use for a hunting rifle in my opinion and experience if you can push and spin them fast enough.  I have heard of people using them in .308Win, but I think they are much better suited for the .300WSM/.300WM and up capacity cases.   

• Like 1

Lance left a very important piece of info out. The Hybrids, target or hunting bullets, are a bit better suited for shooting in a factory rifle. Berger designed the bullet for  a long jump into the rifleing from a magazine length cartridge. I would disagree that the secant ogive is easier to tune over a tangent ogive in a custom chamber. So if you have a factory rifle shoot the Hybrids! 

i have a 300 win mag, so my next question is, do i need to change the oal? or just try different lenghts? right now i have it at 3.493 and shoot great groups, my rifle is a Remington 700 XCR tactical long range, i'm wondering if is worth it to change.

Thanks everybody for the help.

If it is shooting well, and you have had good luck with it, why change?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You will read about failures with any bullet you can think of.  In all honesty, bullet failures are a rare percentage.  And probably 90% of the "failures" are shooter failure rather than bullet failure.  

Also, right now, with the scarcity of primers, powder, and some bullets, be conservative with your supplies.

• Like 2