tyler1215

Late hunt tactics

I'm wondering if anyone has any advise for hunting the late hunts? My brother drew a late hunt and the last time he had it we had a hard time locating bulls. Any advise is appreciated 

Glass rough country. If it’s cold look in the sun. If it’s warm look in the shade. 
Glass, glass, glass.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, tyler1215 said:

I'm wondering if anyone has any advise for hunting the late hunts? My brother drew a late hunt and the last time he had it we had a hard time locating bulls. Any advise is appreciated 

Late rifle or late archery?

what unit? It makes a big difference. Not all units are glass able.  

In my experience weather plays a big part in late hunts and can really get them moving depending on unit. If in a unit that it typically warmer, and the weather finally turns, you may not see elk where you did during previous scouting trips if you see them at all. 

• Like 2

Find an area with as much country as possible between roads (big chunks of roadless land.....).   Hike-in in the dark to get as far as reasonably possible from roads.  Set-up and glass all day long.

Good luck!!

Its the late riffle hunt in 27. The areas we've been scouting and are familiar with really are too thick for glassing. Well besides the burn areas. We've heard down by the blue is more open but extremely rough. We don't mind tough hiking so we are going to go exploring down there this weekend 

what unit?

find the transition from pines into the junipers or next level of elevation.    haven't scouted this year, but they'll still bed on top and go down into the flats to feed.  as it gets colder they will quit going up top.   I don't think it's cold enough to really push the down just yet.

find that transition area and catch them going down or going up.

19 minutes ago, Green Bullet said:

what unit?

find the transition from pines into the junipers or next level of elevation.    haven't scouted this year, but they'll still bed on top and go down into the flats to feed.  as it gets colder they will quit going up top.   I don't think it's cold enough to really push the down just yet.

find that transition area and catch them going down or going up.

There are elk all the way to the road that separates 27 from 28.  Saw a any late hunt shooter cross into NM from 27 late in december one time. We were deer hunting across the road in 28 up on a ridge to watch.  Probaly in the 280-300 range.