bigorange

Good ole days on ammo prices

Found a 9mm box in the garage from about 10 yrs ago...$25.99/100 and I remember buying online for less than $10/50. 

still have one old box of 12ga from my dad with $3.89 price tag and the old tax stickers on it. 

• Sad 1

A friend has two or three boxes of branded 300 Weatherby ammo from the late 60's.  Sticker reads $8.99 per box from Macy's New York of all places.  Late 80's we were buying Chinese .223 for $.05 per round.  It was junk but went boom reliably.

My wife was always giving me shoot when I'd buy a few boxes of ammo, powder, or primers of whatever every few weeks. Glad I did it anyway. 

After I left the Jewel Box in the early 1970s, I managed a JC Penny's and then a Woolco sporting goods department. In both, we usually sold the low-base dove & quail loads for $2.99 reg and $1.99 on promo ads. A brick of .22 Win. LR (10 boxes) was $5.99 on sale. Common centerfire such as .30/.30, .243, etc. was anywhere from $5.99 to $10.99 for magnum stuff. Those were the days of $49 Ruger 10/22s & $99 Win. M94s.

Just now, Arizona Griz said:

I have some old boxes of 30-30. One box was from Yellow Front for $3.69. 

No doubt. I often comparison shopped the YF that was near the Tower Plaza Penny's store. So during the deer season, we would drop our 30-30 price to $3.99. Those were also the days of 99 cent gals. of Coleman fuel promos.  

42 minutes ago, Arizona Griz said:

I have some old boxes of 30-30. One box was from Yellow Front for $3.69. 

Good ol yellow front 

• Like 2

I’ve got a couple of boxes of.35 Remington that are marked 2.50 per box and I remember buying 20 , 16  or 12 gauge at Fedmart and Govway Alcan  paper shells for 25.99 a case of 20 boxes 500 rounds .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 360 0r Better said:

I’ve got a couple of boxes of.35 Remington that are marked 2.50 per box and I remember buying 20 , 16  or 12 gauge at Fedmart and Govway Alcan  paper shells for 25.99 a case of 20 boxes 500 rounds .

Wow, you must be as old as dirt. 😉 I remember both Fedmart and Govway, but I can't recall which one was on W. Indian School between 35th ave. & 43rd.  One of the owners of Fedmart was Sol Price, who later started Price Club -- now Costco!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hunterjohnny said:

Yellowfront rocked, Yates I hadn't heard that one in years!

The Yates store on 40th St. just south of Thomas was another one we "comparison shopped." L.V Yates was an avid outdoor type and really enjoyed hiking. I think there's at least one trail in the Phx. Mt. Preserve named after him. He often gave outdoor writers special deals on equipment. 

• Like 1

I still have an old box of Sierra bullets with a price tag from Smittys. I think in the early 70's there was a store on Van Buren if I remember right it was called Bohms I believe.

Loved Smittys Big Town.

Mom worked for them 35 yrs. 

Bought my first rifle there, a rem. 788 in 308 149.95. Shoots as good now as when I bought it.