bigorange

Good ole days on ammo prices

The old timers told me that there was a 100 club at one time. From what I understand around the Tucson area there was a club where you had to take a Coues over a 100 inches to be in the club, and whoever took the largest buck over 100 was the president for that year. Anyone else hear of it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Could be. I was long out of the gun selling business when that would have happened. Quit in 1976 when we bought our lodge at Vallecito Lake, Colo. I got back in only briefly when we returned to Phx in 1979. I needed a job and my old Woolco mgr. needed a sporting goods mgr. I hired on but told him it would only be a temp deal. A few months later, I went to work as a wholesale road rep for another CA company selling photography related stuff in AZ, NM and Las Vegas. 

Yup. I had a PM conversation with another member , and that's how we remembered it. Govway was like an airplane hanger and later became a skatng rink. He also brought up one of my hangouts in the 1960s,  Bellow's Sporting Goods at 27th Ave. & Camelback. My dad had a gas station next to Fergison's Cafeteria on the corner of 27 Ave. and Indian School. I worked for him as a mechanic until about 1969 when they tore up the road to widen it, sending his business south. Ed Bellows and I, plus two others, did a DIY horseback hunt in Colorado's San Juan Mts. one year. One of my hunting mentors on all things AZ also hung out there. I'll see if anyone might be able to guess who it was. 

My guesses would be Bob Hirsch or Bob Housholder both of them are older than you or me. And both lived around that area at that timeframe.

1 hour ago, 360 0r Better said:

My guesses would be Bob Hirsch or Bob Housholder both of them are older than you or me. And both lived around that area at that timeframe.

Good guesses, but no. I met Householder but didn't know him well. My mentor was actually older than both of them, and he and his son (who was about Hirsch's age) were noted for a certain discipline of hunting. 

In contrast, Hirsch and I were good friends from about 1969 until his death in 2007. In the 1990s, Kurt VonBesser, the owner of Atsko Inc. (Snowseal, UV Killer. Etc.) and I drew archery elk permits in unit 7W. Hirsch let me use his 23' trailer for Kurt's comfort. It had seen a lot of neglect in the kitchen and bath areas. So when we got done with the hunt, I told Hirsch to leave it with me for while and I'd get it fixed up. I completely rebuilt the cabinet area that held the sink, stove and oven and replaced the floor that had warped because of a water leak.

21 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

The old timers told me that there was a 100 club at one time. From what I understand around the Tucson area there was a club where you had to take a Coues over a 100 inches to be in the club, and whoever took the largest buck over 100 was the president for that year. Anyone else hear of it?

I seem to recall something like that way back in the Jack O'Connor days. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Good guesses, but no. I met Householder but didn't know him well. My mentor was actually older than both of them, and he and his son (who was about Hirsch's age) were noted for a certain discipline of hunting. 

In contrast, Hirsch and I were good friends from about 1969 until his death in 2007. In the 1990s, Kurt VonBesser, the owner of Atsko Inc. (Snowseal, UV Killer. Etc.) and I drew archery elk permits in unit 7W. Hirsch let me use his 23' trailer for Kurt's comfort. It had seen a lot of neglect in the kitchen and bath areas. So when e got done with the hunt, I told Hirsch to leave it with me for while and I'd get it fixed up. I completely rebuilt the cabinet area that held the sink, stove and oven and replaced the floor that had warped because of a water leak.

Would it have been Manuel Sinohui?

11 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Yup. I had a PM conversation with another member , and that's how we remembered it. Govway was like an airplane hanger and later became a skatng rink. He also brought up one of my hangouts in the 1960s,  Bellow's Sporting Goods at 27th Ave. & Camelback. My dad had a gas station next to Fergison's Cafeteria on the corner of 27 Ave. and Indian School. I worked for him as a mechanic until about 1969 when they tore up the road to widen it, sending his business south. Ed Bellows and I, plus two others, did a DIY horseback hunt in Colorado's San Juan Mts. one year. One of my hunting mentors on all things AZ also hung out there. I'll see if anyone might be able to guess who it was. 

Mickey Del Re?

13 hours ago, biglakejake said:

Mickey Del Re?

Another good guess. Although, Mickey and I became friends, I didn't know him well until the early 1970s when I was a road rep and sold hunt/fish stuff to him & his brother, Ed, at their store on Northern. I did hunt with Mickey twice, tho -- once for deer & turkey in TX and once for elk near Pagosa Springs.  And in the 1970s when we had our lodge at Vallecito Lake in Colo., Mick, usually with his close friend, Chet Hansen (Hansen Mortuary) or others along, would come up a couple times a year to fish for northern pike with me.

The pike below, at better than 29 lbs. still ranks as the 3rd largest to be caught there.

16998228_1467599066583748_270681296154710077_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=utEcvwL6pNoAX9cgkAO&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.fna&oh=448759eaa00022c7a08b9316def1dbbf&oe=5FD500BA

This is Mickey & his friend, Duke Tartaglia

17098458_1473718072638514_41876246850480

On 11/13/2020 at 10:17 PM, 360 0r Better said:

Not quite as old as dirt but I can remember when Shep was a pup. Fedmart was on Orborn and 29th ave and Govway was at 38th ave and Indian School, bought my Ruger 10/22 there in 1963 when they first came out at 12 years old thought it was the coolest gun going and I still have it, probably have ran 50k rounds threw it.

I bought my first rifle, Remington .270 ADL from that Fedmart in the early ‘70’s for $119.99. Still have it.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:59 PM, Delw said:

I still have (maybe 2 milkcrates full of box's of #2 #4 lead shot from the 60's and early 70's, some old red and white Remington 22 LR ammo.

I also have a few boxes of 10 gauge magnum paper shells. One box was $5.20 from Bellows Sporting Goods.

My old .22  Remington ammo are the red and green boxes.

Ammo for the Winchester Model 88 that was passed down to me from my Grandad.

It looks like he bought a fresh box of ammo every year for deer season. 3 of the boxes are full.

Western Auto ($4.65), Fed-Mart ($5.77), Smitty's ($5.29). 

EFE73E5A-1558-4D36-ABFA-5BD8B82953BF_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 2

Back in CA before it went downhill my grandfather used to get all his ammo from coast to coast. I had cases of 100 round bricks priced at .99 cents each. It took me and my buddies about 7 years to shoot it all up when we were kids. 

• Like 1

Anyone else do business at Bob's Sporting Goods, which was in the shopping plaza on the NW corner of  Glendale & 35th Ave? I bought both my Ruger Single Six convertible and .44 mag Super Blackhawk there in the late 1960s while I was selling major Sear's appliance a few doors down. Lost that job when I told the store mgr. "take this job and shove it"  when I decided to go on my DIY horseback elk hunt in Colo. after he warned me my job was in danger. 🙄

• Haha 1