bigorange

Good ole days on ammo prices

There was a place on the north side of glendale ave around 51-53rd. that sold archery and and firearms stuff too back in the early 80's dont remember the name though. there was also a applicance place next door.

2 hours ago, ctafoya said:

100 round bricks priced at .99 cents each.

my first job was at Jim's Bait in far east Mesa at 79th street and Apache Trail in 1972.  my first rifle was a marlin m60 and most if not all of my pay went to those little 100 packs of cci mini-mag .22 hollow points at 99c each.  not a bad trade for running a register and dipping waterdogs and minnows at 12yo.

Jim sold out to a younger couple in 1974 and they wanted more of a life outside the shop.  that got me lots of hours during my sophomore and junior years at Mesa High.  they took me out to get proficient with a S&W .357 and i would wear it overnights at 14 to 16 years old.  after graduation in 1978 the Tysons were on the run and owner Lee Nice had everybody working there open carry at all times-even his wife and daughter.

lee

On 11/14/2020 at 8:54 AM, 360 0r Better said:

might be able to guess who it was.

you don't think he is talking about Ben Avery do you?  thats just too obvious....................................

14 minutes ago, Delw said:

There was a place on the north side of glendale ave around 51-53rd. that sold archery and and firearms stuff too back in the early 80's dont remember the name though. there was also a applicance place next door.

I do recall an archery store that was right on a corner of maybe 53rd/54th ave, near Value Village & closer to downtown. I bought some stuff there in the 1990s when I got back into bowhunting. I believe they also had a short shooting range. I didn't really take notice if they did any gun-type business or not. 

3 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

my first rifle was a marlin m60

We have that in common. My mom bought mine in 1960 for $39 at a Two Guys store in Hackensack, NJ.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I do recall an archery store that was right on a corner of maybe 53rd/54th ave, near Value Village & closer to downtown. I bought some stuff there in the 1990s when I got back into bowhunting. I believe they also had a short shooting range. I didn't really take notice if they did any gun-type business or not. 

yeah thats the place I was thinking of.  I think they later turned it into that boat shop or that was on one of the ends of the stripmall.

then there was that fishing shop at 67th grand and northern. they sold shotgun ammo during hunting season if I recall, then the mercantile place up on pinnacle peak road sold ammo and some guns  as well in the early years. always hit that place up when we went fishing at pleasant for some dove and duck loads. when dove season and quail season started those mornings is where most hunters met on the west side. got breakfeast, stuff for lunch drives ice licenses and ammo.

Here is a blast from the past. One of these guys started a range, one a range was named after him, one was a gunsmith who wrote at least one book on the subject, one owned a gun store that is discussed in this thread. What's your guess kneeling left to right 1-4. Standing left to right 1-6. Sorry the pic isn't the best.

1115201125~2.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delw said:

gun smith po ackley wasnt he the sherriff in wickenburg?

PO Ackley was a gunsmith, but he's not in this pic.

Just now, Delw said:

yeah thats the place I was thinking of.  I think they later turned it into that boat shop or that was on one of the ends of the stripmall.

then there was that fishing shop at 67th grand and northern. they sold shotgun ammo during hunting season if I recall, then the mercantile place up on pinnacle peak road sold ammo and some guns  as well in the early years. always hit that place up when we went fishing at pleasant for some dove and duck loads. when dove season and quail season started those mornings is where most hunters met on the west side. got breakfeast, stuff for lunch drives ice licenses and ammo.

I think the Boat shop is farther east, just before 51st ave. 

The bait shop on Grand was where I bought waterdogs when I ventured to Colo. after pike.  I can't recall the name, tho I can picture the guy that owned it quite well in mind -- older man with grey, balding hair.  And if my memory serves me right, I seem to recall the meat locker where I often took deer/elk for processing was right near the bait shop on a side street off Grand, 

18 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Here is a blast from the past. One of these guys started a range, one a range was named after him, one was a gunsmith who wrote at least one book on the subject, one owned a gun store that is discussed in this thread. What's your guess kneeling left to right 1-4. Standing left to right 1-6. Sorry the pic isn't the best.

Cowboy hat in front is Ben Avery. Guy standing in ctr. with light-colored baseball hat and the guy in the cowboy hat standing far right seem like familair faces, but I can't put a name to them. 

those 2 guys that owned/worked that Bait shop were some of the coolest people I met. They were white bass and crappy nuts  too.

the deer procesing place I used was up on olive denmark something think it was a different name in the early 80's good people too

Here's Ben Avery (kneeling) in 1950 at the Sun Valley Pheasant club that my grandad (far left) ran in Pima. That's grandma in the car window. This was from an article in the December 1950 Arizona Wildlife Sportsman magazine.

AD42871E-2563-40B5-9D41-6503D2B22D68_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3