bigorange

Good ole days on ammo prices

58 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

You are correct kneeling 3rd from left is Ben Avery.

I know. 🤣 

I met Ben at a get-together at Hirsch's house sometime in the early 1970s, but only visited with him a couple times after that, mostly at small gatherings or meetings of some organization or such. He was a very soft-spoken and humble individual. If I recall, he was actually one of the founders of the range under its former life as Black Canyon Shooting Range. way back in the 1950s.

1 hour ago, Delw said:

those 2 guys that owned/worked that Bait shop were some of the coolest people I met. They were white bass and crappy nuts  too.

I only recall the one I mentioned. 

thats why I put "worked", everytime I went in there which was 3-4 times a week early in the morning as I lived down the street and drove grand everyday day to work. there were 2 guys about the same age in there. didnt know if they owned the owned the place were brothers/family worked together or what.

Here is a blast from the past. One of these guys started a range, one a range was named after him, one was a gunsmith who wrote at least one book on the subject, one owned a gun store that is discussed in this thread. What's your guess kneeling left to right 1-4. Standing left to right 1-6. Sorry the pic isn't the best.

Looks like Camp Perry.  Gunsmith Roy Dunlap?

2 minutes ago, forepaw said:

Here is a blast from the past. One of these guys started a range, one a range was named after him, one was a gunsmith who wrote at least one book on the subject, one owned a gun store that is discussed in this thread. What's your guess kneeling left to right 1-4. Standing left to right 1-6. Sorry the pic isn't the best.

Looks like Camp Perry.  Gunsmith Roy Dunlap?

You are correct it is at Camp Perry. Roy Dunlap is the first standing on the left.

14 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

You are correct it is at Camp Perry. Roy Dunlap is the first standing on the left.

Is the guy standing in ctr. with light-colored baseball hat Bo(e)hm (Russ?)? 

12 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Is the guy standing in ctr. with light-colored baseball hat Bo(e)hm (Russ?)? 

Unfortunately I'm not sure about him, Tony, or the first two kneeling. I'm pretty sure that there's only one of these guys still living. The last guy kneeling is Bob Jensen.

3 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure about him, Tony, or the first two kneeling. I'm pretty sure that there's only one of these guys still living. The last guy kneeling is Bob Jensen.

Man, I sure didn't recognize Jensen. Any idea of photo date??? 

Glendales McCagnos Meats.

Everyone on the west sides go to processor.

Only problem , they band sawed the whole frozen animals. There would be 100 plus in their freezer, normally.

No don't know the date. Kneeling left to right was told his name was Butterfield, don't know for sure, next unknown Marine, 3rd is Ben Avery, 4th is Bob Jensen, pretty sure he's the only one living. 1st standing Roy Dunlap, next Dick Thompson, 3rd is unknown, 4th is L.E. Lou Ronninger, Lou was the high civilian at Perry in 63, I believe, next is Milt Hood, founded the Tucson Three Points range, Tucson Rifle Club, last guy's last name was Cannon, was called Pappy Cannon, was told that the Black Canyon range could have been named after him as well.

I think the bait shop on Grand was called A1.  You could ring a buzzer any time at night or early morning & he would crawl out of bed to sell bait, tackle, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

last guy's last name was Cannon, was called Pappy Cannon, was told that the Black Canyon range could have been named after him as well.

The three that began Black Canyon were Avery, Glenn Taylor and Jim Beaman. I never heard of Cannon. I shot silhouette matches at Tucson Three Points early 70s, so maybe I rubbed elbows with Milt Hood and didn't know it. 😎

15 minutes ago, C.Shoemaker said:

I think the bait shop on Grand was called A1.  You could ring a buzzer any time at night or early morning & he would crawl out of bed to sell bait, tackle, etc. 

Ding, ding!!!  I think that is the place. 

1 hour ago, elkaholic said:

Glendales McCagnos Meats.

I remember that one, but I don't think that was the one I used, which I think was farther west and north.  But it wouldn't be the first time my mind failed and most certainly not the last. 🤣

The story is told that there was a Marine Engineer Reserve unit in Phx, that cleared the land for the public range, I was told that Manuel Levas owned a bar in the Peoria area, from what I was told that Manuel showed up with enough booze to keep those Marines liquored up to finish the range.

3 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

The story is told that there was a Marine Engineer Reserve unit in Phx, that cleared the land for the public range, I was told that Manuel Levas owned a bar in the Peoria area, from what I was told that Manuel showed up with enough booze to keep those Marines liquored up to finish the range.

That all happened before I arrived here in Jan. 1962. 

18 hours ago, C.Shoemaker said:

AAA on Grand and Jims on Apache trail traded and co-operated a lot.  as soon as i was old enough to drive i started making that trip.  we would put a couple 55 gal drums filled with water and waterdogs in the back of a 1962 Willys Wagon that made it a little unstable.  i am lucky to be alive-that Wlllys was tricked out with a Formula 1 Lola engine and 6 speed transmission.

lee