bigorange

Good ole days on ammo prices

9 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

That’s the only time I went there dinner 

It's kind of funny that you brought up the knights because I always sort of wondered what the connection was between knights and Neptune, the Roman god of the sea. 😂 Even though he was sometimes called "King Neptune" it wasn't in the sense of a knights and castles type. 

6 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

That’s the only time I went there dinner 

You know, after more reflection I don't think the knights were at Neptune at all. I believe they were a feature at the Green Gables Rest. at 24th St. & Thomas.

59922540_2211687575590890_9016201235610468352_n.png?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=NA4j83wwWFYAX9eSpVK&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.fna&oh=fae7022a571e388606cc2aba239ca476&oe=5FD9277C

19 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

Another one Tony do you remember the restaurant on central just south of Bethany on the west side of the street the name I can’t remember but it had the pond inside full of trout.

Both my wife and I are really drawing a blank on this one because we never ate there. The main ones I remember on Central are Woody's Macayo, Durant's, Spagetti Factory (later than 1980?) and Stein & Sirloin. I was wrong about the one on Indian that was actually the Stag & Hound, not Stein & Sirloin as I wrote in the other reply. And them there was the Islands, which was more of a nightclub than an eatery.

Other notable restaurants we frequented were Labriola's (family-style Italian in an old house) on 24th st., the original Garcia's that served GOOD food in a house on 35th Ave., south of Thomas, the Monti's that opened on N. 19th Ave. in the 70s, the Stockyards on E.Van Buren in its hayday, Bill Johnson's on 32ave & W. Indian S., and the Beefeaters on W. Camelback. There were three other Italian places we frequented where the names are duhs -- one was east of Central on either Camelback or Bethany Home, one was on 7th Ave. between Camelback and Indian s., and the other was in the 19th ave./ Peoria Ave/Cactus Rd. area, (maybe a westside Riazzi's?).

4 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

in the 19th ave./ Peoria Ave/Cactus Rd. area, (maybe a westside Riazzi's?).

19th and Peoria. My dad used to give Bob Riazzi international skeet shooting lessons. They had the best frickin pizza.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Huntnfish said:

19th and Peoria. My dad used to give Bob Riazzi international skeet shooting lessons. They had the best frickin pizza.

Bob Riazzi passed in 2017. I believe that's the year.

11 hours ago, Huntnfish said:

10 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

Thanks guys. I thought that was it but wasn't positive. 

On 11/18/2020 at 7:13 PM, 10Turkeys said:

He would always donate gift certificates at our HP Silhouette Matches. Super nice guy. I don't remember his name but the guy from Phoenix Shooters Supply would shoot with us also. I bought a 7.08 barrel from him that Griffin Gunwerks made. In hindsight I should have bought a Gary Schneider barrel from Sam Shelly in 6.5x284.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRDATR said:

He would always donate gift certificates at our HP Silhouette Matches. Super nice guy. I don't remember his name but the guy from Phoenix Shooters Supply would shoot with us also. I bought a 7.08 barrel from him that Griffin Gunwerks made.

That would be Louie Toy, he's gone also.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, 10Turkeys said:

That would be Louie Toy, he's gone also.

Thanks. He was a bit older than me. Matches were pretty relaxxed back then with some shooters even drinking a frosty one in between rounds. There were a few husband and wife teams. Another name that come to mind is Jeff Sutton. I think he also shot BR too. I used to think I was a pretty good rifleman until I started shooting Silhouette. Whole nother game when trying to shoot offhand as opposed to off the bench. I remember watching Dave Tubb at the nationals in Raton. His knees were messed up and he had trouble getting around but Holy Cripes he could shoot, center punch every target with his Chin Gun. Kinda a dry sense of humor but a real down to earth guy.

28 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I used to think I was a pretty good rifleman until I started shooting Silhouette

i could hold my own if the wind wasn't blowing but some of those guys-and gals-performed nothing short of magic.

lee

9 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

i could hold my own if the wind wasn't blowing but some of those guys-and gals-performed nothing short of magic.

There was a gal who shot silhouettes where I did at the Tucson R&G Club range who was in the B class. I can't remember her name, but her husband's name was Duke. She was heavy set and always wore these flowery, tent-like dresses and scarf on her head. Weirdest of all, she shot barefoot. I did a short article about her for Mother Earth News circa early 1970s sometime.  

45 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

There was a gal who shot silhouettes where I did at the Tucson R&G Club range who was in the B class. I can't remember her name, but her husband's name was Duke. She was heavy set and always wore these flowery, tent-like dresses and scarf on her head. Weirdest of all, she shot barefoot. I did a short article about her for Mother Earth News circa early 1970s sometime.  

That used to be called a Moo Moo. Maybe she was Cody Lundin's mother. :)

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

He would always donate gift certificates at our HP Silhouette Matches. Super nice guy. I don't remember his name but the guy from Phoenix Shooters Supply would shoot with us also. I bought a 7.08 barrel from him that Griffin Gunwerks made. In hindsight I should have bought a Gary Schneider barrel from Sam Shelly in 6.5x284.

Must have been Gryphon Gunworks on 12th St.  PSS recommended them to install choke tubes on a Rem. M 11 for me.  Those guys were the REAL deal. Top notch gunsmiths and professional quality work - not necessarily rifle builders or barrel fitters, but full journeymen all around gunsmiths.  I bought a pre-64 M70  .30-06 from them, and almost bought a couple other guns - one a pre-64 M 70 featherweight in .270.  I don't know what happened to them, but I can tell you if there were still gunsmiths like them around, I would have bought a lot more guns over the past 30 yrs.  

4 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Thanks. He was a bit older than me. Matches were pretty relaxxed back then with some shooters even drinking a frosty one in between rounds. There were a few husband and wife teams. Another name that come to mind is Jeff Sutton. I think he also shot BR too. I used to think I was a pretty good rifleman until I started shooting Silhouette. Whole nother game when trying to shoot offhand as opposed to off the bench. I remember watching Dave Tubb at the nationals in Raton. His knees were messed up and he had trouble getting around but Holy Cripes he could shoot, center punch every target with his Chin Gun. Kinda a dry sense of humor but a real down to earth guy.

I think the Sutton your talking about is Dan Sutton.  He beds rifles on the side, and he got Brackneys old lathe, when Bob got a new one, so he's doing some machine work. I think at one time everybody on the line was shooting one of Schniders barrels that they got from Sam.

• Like 1