Ernesto C

My solo thrilling, frustrating and exciting hunt!

Coues deer hunting is my passion, love it! That's what I breathe. Located a shooter buck, disappeared in the thickness of the desert floor. While glassing for him for about 3 hrs. a BIG BUCK walked into my field of view. My heart skipped a beat! My eyes wide open and my jaw dropped to the floor, what a buck!! Looked for him frantically in the brush and mesquite packed desert floor.. just before dark I saw him again, waling behind some trees and then stopped on a opening to show me his majestic rack, wow! I immediately got up with the intention to grab my rifle and got into position for a shot; as I lifted my tripod to put them by my side some how my swaros got detach or disconnected and fell hard on the rock below me. It was a hard hit I knew that while I was aiming my rifle where I just saw the buck... the buck wasn't there anymore. I looked around that opening with my rifle scope and with my naked eye to see if I can see him again and shoot but nothing...looked again and then some more and notrhing. Immediately after I grabed my binoculars put them back on my tripod to find him again and guess what? they were broken!! My binos broke when fell onto the boulder below me! I could not see through them!! and somewhere below me therea was a huge buck! Looked for him with my naked eyes and through my rifle scope but with no success! 😩 Now I had no binos and it was only the 2nd day of my hunt. I was frustraded, devastated  and traumatized...how I was going to look foor that giant on an area that is very thick full of  brush and trees with no binoculars? To make a long story short, hunted for him for 4 more days never to see him or the other buck I originally saw before him. On the last day of my hunt I moved to a totally different area. Right at 7:00 am located this buck at 473 yards. I said to my self hey, last day, lets do it! One shot and this buck was mine! It was a long 3 hrs haul to my truck but a very happy camper 😋 Next year, Lord willing...I will go back and look for that big buck and with binos of course.

P. S. Sucks to hunt with no swaros.

636301442_2020AzCoues4.thumb.jpg.6ebb1ded8ba14e7b7e21098f998f2742.jpg468245830_2020AzCoues.thumb.jpg.adb104103ef42941109aaf1b910191c7.jpg

• Like 29
  • Great Buck! 3

8 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

What did you use to glass with the remainder of your hunt? 

I had with me a small vortex binos that I use on my chest. I placed them on top of my tripod and hold them with my hands and that's how I was glassing..but you know..is not the same.

50 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

I had with me a small vortex binos that I use on my chest. I placed them on top of my tripod and hold them with my hands and that's how I was glassing..but you know..is not the same.

Oh man..ive done that before, it's difficult!

Nicely done

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that buck Ernesto, nothing like seeing a monster buck and the panic that goes with it.

DAN

• Like 2

Congratulations again Ernesto!

Talk about making the best out of a bad situation.

Nice buck!  Call me next time!

• Like 1