Thank You Tony!!  called in most everything starting about 1972 with my partner Bob Kyhn and my trusty old Circe..  predators plus cow elk, mule deer, buck pronghorn, owls, hawks, bear and javalina.  almost got eaten by a bunch of unleashed dogs at midnight in east mesa one time with nothing but harsh language to defend ourselves with.  oh and a few chupacabra down on the border in 36a/b/c.  they looked like coyotes but did not have any hair.

lee

10 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

With the alliteration in the title it made me think William Safire penned the article instead of Robert Cantwell.

I doubt many varmint hunters were ever featured in Sports Illustrated, and we sure as heck wouldn't see it in today's world of political correctness. Cantwell did a pretty decent job of capturing Sam's demeanor at that point his life. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Big or Bust said:

Copy....

Still don't get it but that's ok.

Appreciate getting your Ok. In the future I'll be sure to get your approval before posting a thread.

oldfart.thumb.jpg.40955f08fa73e76efc825f7d5f4ab238.jpg

14 hours ago, Big Tub said:

glad someone got it

I knew someone eventually would as I added more clues. The SI article I cited also mentioned the name of a very old dear friend, Floyd Preas, who I also met in about the same time frame and in conjuntion with varmint calling. I hunted with Preas a few times -- two for quail ( see Mearns excerpt from Quail Hunting In America book) and once for deer/turkey in TX. But over the years until he died, we fished together (Carol, also) many times, mostly at Pleasant for white bass and Apache for smallmouth, the latter often using his creation -- the yellow jacket spinner. I've probably included Preas in more than a dozen articles in various publications, and at least one cover photo that's a wide-view scenic I took from a hilltop of him and Carol fishing at Apache. 

I just found this old 1985 article I wrote for Field & Stream online:

Summer Whites At Lake Pleasant

This one on Preas in F&S 1976 was written by the late Jim Tallon, who was my photography mentor. 

Bass Basics

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Appreciate getting your Ok. In the future I'll be sure to get your approval before posting a thread.

oldfart.thumb.jpg.40955f08fa73e76efc825f7d5f4ab238.jpg

Starved for attention or world class ego? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Neither. Just a way of telling you to mind your own business, and I'll mind mine.  

Ok, but you started a thread about yourself on a public forum. Not all get it...

29 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Ok, but you started a thread about yourself on a public forum. Not all get it...

Is there something amiss with your reading comprehension or are you just confused because you haven't actually read the replies in this thread??

The title of the thread is "MY Mentor," which means it's about the mentor that taught me.

If this thread bothers you so much, here's a suggestion; don't waste time reading it, and go back to watching Sesame Street reruns instead.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

We have a winner!!! Nicely done. 👍

2055513701_d2(2).jpg.4155b75d37170c37efde8d906594d439.jpg

Sam is far right.

Sam was a bit before my time, but I knew a few older guys that knew him through the Phoenix Varmint Caller club. Not a one had a bad word to say about him. Same for his son that you mentioned. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Is there something amiss with your reading comprehension or are you just confused because you haven't actually read the replies in this thread??

The title of the thread is "MY Mentor," which means it's about the mentor that taught me.

If this thread bothers you so much, here's a suggestion; don't waste time reading it, and go back to watching Sesame Street reruns instead.

My confusion (and lots of people's I have now found out) on the thread stems from the level of ego to even start the thread which based on other threads I've been reminded of that you have participated in on this forum, I should visit the site more often and I would know how you conduct your business. Your mentor must be proud. 

Actions conducted with grace and selflessness without the overwhelming ego and narcissism, which is how you are coming across, is much more effective long term if you want folks to talk about you. Obviously YMMV.

Pardon my intrusion on your thread. I'm done. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Big or Bust said:

This is a weird thread. We are guessing someone's mentor?  I don't get it, but that's ok....

Congrats on the right guess?

Weird?? Perhaps informative and nostalgic are better desciptors.

Sounds as if you haven't a clue as to who many of the people mentioned in this thread were and that they were fairly well known in the hunting/outdoors community. A couple, such as Sam & his son, were legends among their peers. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

Sam was a bit before my time, but I knew a few older guys that knew him through the Phoenix Varmint Caller club. Not a one had a bad word to say about him. Same for his son that you mentioned. 

His son was Bill Dudley. More later on him. I have a couple fires to put out. 🤣

2 hours ago, Big or Bust said:

My confusion (and lots of people's I have now found out) on the thread stems from the level of ego to even start the thread which based on other threads I've been reminded of that you have participated in on this forum, I should visit the site more often and I would know how you conduct your business. Your mentor must be proud. 

Actions conducted with grace and selflessness without the overwhelming ego and narcissism, which is how you are coming across, is much more effective long term if you want folks to talk about you. Obviously YMMV.

Pardon my intrusion on your thread. I'm done. 

Whatever. I started the thread to promote some discussion that didn't have a FS tag on it. 

I really don't give a rat's a$$ what you think, nor do I care if you "talk" about me.  

• Like 1