Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Remember the 80s in Phoenix

On 11/17/2020 at 6:46 AM, 360 0r Better said:

Don’t forget the Indian Drive In on 27th ave just north of Indian Sch Rd east side of 27th ave.

Oh, geez, how could I forget that one. My dad moved his gas station business to a brandy new Wilshire (owned by Gulf) at 27th Ave. & ISR, and I was his mechanic thru the 1960s. The drive-in was right behind the station back then. Ferguson's Cafeteria and Wide World of Maps to the east and across the street, one of our favorite restaurants -- Stag & Hound.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:52 AM, longshooter said:

you could draw a late December coues deer tag down south every year and your tag was good for a handful of different units. You could also buy an additional deer tag for a meat buck and shoot 2 deer a year

It was also in the early 1980s where our deer herds erupted because of the rains. Close to 100K permits were available for a couple years running. .

sunset sporting goods was awesome, as I got older a fake i.d. and Mr Lucky's was awesome, lot of fun memories of that place and some mornings wondering what was laying beside me ha ha. Also remember my mom and dad dove hunting by some orchards at 59 the ave and cactus.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DUG said:

Superstition freeway (60) was 2 lanes each way with oleanders in the median. I remember when a trip to Globe or Young took an extra hour because the freeway only went to Val Vista. 

Also # 66. Stood in line at McDonalds behind Tex one time. Baseline and Rural Rd.

When we moved here I think it stopped at Country Club and yes going east was a pain including dirt roads east of power for most roads south of the 60. 

11 minutes ago, lefty said:

sunset sporting goods was awesome, as I got older a fake i.d. and Mr Lucky's was awesome, lot of fun memories of that place and some mornings wondering what was laying beside me ha ha. Also remember my mom and dad dove hunting by some orchards at 59 the ave and cactus.

Sunset was awesome.. there was one on Baseline and Price (I think?)  Bulk silver ringworms with chart tail... was a killer at Rosy back in the day, but the tail had to have glitter as well. I still have some and they still work on occasion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jdown said:

Sunset was awesome.. there was one on Baseline and Price (I think?)  Bulk silver ringworms with chart tail... was a killer at Rosy back in the day, but the tail had to have glitter as well. I still have some and they still work on occasion. 

We bought our snow skis and boots at the one on Northern, near 35th Ave. in 1975. Prior to that, we also rented skis there. 

I remember as a kid in the mid-70s, that Wallace and Ladmo would show-up at the Kearny Pioneer Days carnival each year and hand-out Ladmo bags.  Never was lucky enough to score one, though. ;)

Fun thread....   LOTS of memories being recalled from the late-70s & early 80s. 

S.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jdown said:

When we moved here I think it stopped at Country Club and yes going east was a pain including dirt roads east of power for most roads south of the 60. 

The 60 took awhile to get to where it finally finished. We lived just north of the 60 by College Ave. We took a field trip in 3rd or 4th grade to Indian ruins they uncovered near McClintock Dr. My Dad had a little hand in getting the pedestrian bridge that was built over the 60 at College Ave. It was torn down a few years ago and another was put up a little farther East.

yea this is fun.....downright scary too!  selling cars, trucks, RV's and Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes under that big blue arrow at 12th street and camelback.  i must have gotten all the newly-rich phoenix Suns rookies cuz the idiots would usually hit 100mph on northbound 7th street during the test drive.  won a GM contest with a trip to Cabo as the prize and have been suffering tuna fever ever since.  spent the 1st dollar$ ever at Seamus McCaffrey's Pub-we were office partners at Courtesy when he bought that place.   the 1980's ended working for Goodyear Tire and travelling the entire west coast as a loss prevention mgr-only a few death threats.... that were credible....

favorite Arizona restaurant EVER-Fish Market opened in '86 on camelback!

the 90's were a piece of cake after the 80's.

lee

ps i wonder if anyone remembers my mentor at Courtesy-Jack O'Malley?  RIP

1 hour ago, biglakejake said:

ps i wonder if anyone remembers my mentor at Courtesy-Jack O'Malley?  RIP

Did you know a Joe Gambino? He was earlier than the 80s, but I'm not sure how much earlier. 

another one.

Jason Binoculars remember when those were the thing to have for glassing? auto focus and all.  I still have a pair or 2 laying around in the garage

This is great I remember almost all of these..... thats twice price club was brought up this week on here and man I remember going there as a kid, it was an all day affair...

• Like 1