Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Remember the 80s in Phoenix

The Mall at 59th and Northern used to be an indoor mall. They tore it down and rebuilt all the new stores there.

Criptown is Christown, but Crip as in bloods and crips in the 90's.

Maryvale mall is still partially there, but they tore down most of it and rebuilt other things. It was also an indoor mall. Cartwright school district office is now in part of the old mall I believe. 

16 hours ago, biglakejake said:

remember the size of those bouncers?!?

not needed at Graham Central Station for the urban cowboy/yuppie bunch

I was a bouncer there in 2000ish for a summer. I was 6'4" tall and 280lbs. Not fat... the little sh-t bull riders that were 5'4" and 125lbs still tried to start sh-t with us. 

Going back a little further anybody remember The Hayloft on Glendale and 44thAve? It was an old barn converted into a bar and dance hall with live country music. It was owned by a Glendale native some of you may have heard of him Marty Robbins ring a bell. I remember one night after it closed for the night hanging around and watching some country legends jam for a couple hours just having fun, Waylon, Willie and Marty boy what a memory.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 6:04 PM, Saguaro said:

I didn’t grow up in Phoenix, but being an Arizona native, I would come down for school shopping, doctor appointments, and visiting relatives at least twice a year.  I remember the orange trees on 17 and Ladmo bags.  There were only 2 million or so people back then and the only area code for the whole state was 602. I think the oranges were ornamental and didn’t taste good.

The 928 thing took Awhile to get used to

6 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

Going back a little further anybody remember The Hayloft on Glendale and 44thAve? It was an old barn converted into a bar and dance hall with live country music. It was owned by a Glendale native some of you may have heard of him Marty Robbins ring a bell. I remember one night after it closed for the night hanging around and watching some country legends jam for a couple hours just having fun, Waylon, Willie and Marty boy what a memory.

I remember it well. we went to it alot when we were young and I liked country music, man glad my wife talked me out of country music, she hated that place but went anyway. Some of it was good like when it was Live at the hayloft.

There was 2 other bars that were cool, one had live music the other one didnt. the one that didnt was on the SE corner of cactus and 51st ave(think its a bicycle shop now), the other one with live music was on 51st just west of t-bird on the north side and its back yard was the wash. that bar was always packed cant remember the names the live band one had like sand in the back. we went to both places like 3-4 times a week and I didnt drink I was just the driver LOL

11 hours ago, Delw said:

another one.

Jason Binoculars remember when those were the thing to have for glassing? auto focus and all.  I still have a pair or 2 laying around in the garage

I have a broken zoom type that went to 20x. 

9 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

The Mall at 59th and Northern used to be an indoor mall. They tore it down and rebuilt all the new stores there.

Criptown is Christown, but Crip as in bloods and crips in the 90's.

Maryvale mall is still partially there, but they tore down most of it and rebuilt other things. It was also an indoor mall. Cartwright school district office is now in part of the old mall I believe. 

10-4 on the indoor aspects. I thought you were implying they were gone. The school deal is behind the mall, like right behind Walmart.  

18 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

I remember the Hayloft, but although Robbins appeared there on occasion, I don't believe he owned it. I rubbed elbows with  him sort of at the old Manzanita dirt track on south 35 th Ave. I worked with an extinguisher company as a fireman in the pits there in the early 60s when Robbins began racing stock cars. At the time, I still owned my '56 T-Bird and would use it doing laps to pack the track after it got watered down. It would take me two days to get it clean again. They did stock cars on Weds. and super modified/sprinters on Sat. 

So one Sat. night in May 1962, my wife, who was 71/2-months pregnant, and I are headed home in the T-bird to my parent's house on W. Mariposa, a few doors away from Alhambra HS. Somewhere along 35th ave., some dude decided to pass us in traffic and had to dart in front of me to miss a head-on. I had to hit the brakes. With no seat belts in the 'Bird, my wife pitched forward and banged the dash. She wasn't seriously hurt, but we get home and her water breaks.  We get back in the T-bird, but it won't start. My parents were visiting friends with their car, and my '56 Ford Vic was undergoing an engine rebuild. So the only vehicle available was my dad's workhorse '47 Chevy PU from the gas station. We loaded into it, with wife in labor sitting with her feet on tow chains and other rescue type items, and off to Phx Baptist Hospital we went. My oldest son was born a few hours after midnight on Mother's Day, May 13, 1962.

Later in the 1960s. my dad's gas station housed & sponsored a stocker that was driven by Paul Marciano, who later went on to drive sprint cars and was blamed for the death of Hank Arnold, who drove the infamous "Twister."  I can still hear the voice of this guy.....

McDonald, William "Windy"
"William "Windy" McDonald, 82, of Phoenix AZ, passed peacefully on Tuesday, October 11, 2016. He was preceded in death by son Ricky ........wife Beverly Jo. He was known as "the voice of racing" in Arizona, as he announced the races at Manzanita Speedway for over 50 years....where thousands of times, his famous line "Its show time" echoed off the mountains. In 2014 he was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame."

I remember Organ Stop and Pistol Pete’s. My dad had a plane and we would sometimes fly into Deer Valley or Falcon Field airport and rent a cheap car to do our running around.  The car rental place was called Rent-A-Wreck.  It was usually a 10+ year old vehicle.

One of the coolest things was when we would go to the restaurant at the Hyatt Recengy.  I was 6 or 7 years old and just marveled at that place as it rotated.  I haven’t been there for 35 years.

• Like 1

Anyone remember AZ Outdoors on ch 45 (if I remember right)? With Ned Smith and Reed Peterson. It would come on on Sundays after church and I would always tune in as a 10 year kid.. 

• Like 1

Not really just a Phoenix thing, but do you guys remember Night Tracks on TBS?

1 hour ago, pyle762 said:

Anyone remember AZ Outdoors on ch 45 (if I remember right)? With Ned Smith and Reed Peterson. I would come on on Sundays after church and always tune in. 

Yes Vaguely had lots of fishing in it as well as ducks, and quail