Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

2020 Trekking Poles

I've been researching poles and have had trouble settling on a specific model for some time. I'd like to buy once and cry once. I know these have been discussed in the past but now that more people have been using and upgrading trekking poles in recent years, I'd appreciate the wisdom of CWT on the topic.

Pole Style -

I liked the idea of the Z pole setup, thinking without adjustment, there is less to fail. I imagine when using a tarp system in the backcountry, adjustability really shines. No adjustment also equates to weight savings. How often do these higher end pole locks fail in the field and thoughts on a fixed pole height? 

Black Diamond for example has a hybrid model ("FLZ"), z style with one adjustment, pack down to 14", best of both worlds?

Weight and Carbon vs. Aluminum -

Carbon is typically lighter but is aluminum stronger, is there enough reason to believe it should last longer or is it more useful for some other reason?

How much do you think you would notice a pair of 10oz sticks vs 18oz sticks? Other carbon benefits? 

Cork grip and other - 

Many say it is the most important feature. The upgrade to cork often comes with weight. Thoughts on cork or other?

Thanks! 

I was in the don't need 'em crowd but thinking they are a good idea long term. I used some cheap Amazon ones 2 weeks ago and wished I had some on my hunt last year. 

Trekking poles are a must for me anymore. Got tired of looking macho while rolling my ankles and falling all the time. Whatever you do, go with aluminum poles. The difference in weight on CF vs Aluminum is negligible and aluminum is a lot stronger. I’ve seen several sets of CF poles break and the result is ALWAYS a very nasty tumble because they break when they are under a lot of strain. Whatever you go with, you’ll wonder why you haven’t been using them for years. I’ve used cork as well as foam handles and can’t tell much of a difference. Kinda like a cork vs foam handle on a fishing rod, it is more preference than anything. My favorite pair are made by easton and they have foam handles. Been going strong for 6-8 years now without issue. 

• Like 1

I bought the $40 pair from Amazon too. They've been great. Bent my first pair crossing a fence. Ordered a new pair and have used them for the last 3 seasons. Saved my bacon more than a few times.

I am a novice pole user. I have some Diamondback aluminum with the cam locks. They are not "lightweight" but I have never felt that they were "heavy" either. They have worked as needed so far.

I am not a fan of the twist lock. Just a personal preference. I have had bad experiences with them failing. I do like the sleekness of twist locks though. I have had VERY minor issue with the cams getting caught on snags, but not enough to go back to twist locks.

I like the rubber grips. I am always wearing gloves though so the texture or grip is not an issue. I had some cork handles and they seemed to harden up with sweat and dirt over time.

I also do not bivy hunt so the only time weight is an issue is when I am toting them up or down the nasty canyons to etch an animal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Been wondering if my dad should get some for his sheep hunt 

Yes. They are a huge benefit:

1. With weight

2. Downhill especially with weight

3. Rough terrain especially with weight

• Like 1

One of the best things you can buy.

My first set before they were stolen were $250 black diamond. Great but expensive.  U just picked up the #1 rated from Amazon and they work great...just got back from AK and they did as well as my expensive ones

Screenshot_20201120-122752.png

I dont have a trecking pole persay, but had the kid go pic me up one of those walking sticks from Cabelas a few years back. for 2 reasons, one my knee was killing me for some odd reason when I hiked with Her and the other was snakes when out shed hunting.

it sure did help walking on uneven ground with rocks while shed hunting last year. then we went to  Sycamore falls and I was able to walk with no issues all that way and more. the year before I couldnt with out my knee just killing me.. still could walk just in alot of pain. with the pole no pain.

since then I use it all the time love it. my knee hasnt givin me any issues in the last year and a half but I still take it along.. still havent had to use it on snakes yet either.

Theres a new brand out there called Sissy Stixx and you can use a promo code from gritty bowmen to get like 20 percent off. They are my next set if mine break. they are a hybrid of carbon and aluminum.