az_runner

36A Youth Deer

Any others out there now for the youth hunt? I was taking my son in on about 2 mile hike in where I got my buck last year and we had to turn around due to the heat and we started before sun up. I'm used to seeing a few dozen does on day one and we glassed up about 8 on spot for the entire day. We sat water twice and didn't see much... dropped a cam or two to see what shows for tomorrow. Just trying to see if you guys are dealing with the same out here. I know youth hunt is pretty far into the season so I'm sure that is some of it and the rest is this crazy heat.

In my glassing this year it seems as though places I expect to see deer act in a certain way has been thrown out the window.  All my expected "patterns" are all messed up.  I can only attribute it to the drought. 

Was out there last weekend for a quick scouting trip with my neighbor...it was hot and dry but we saw deer in the same areas we’ve seen them before. Not sure if I’d sit water but focusing on areas near water wouldn’t be a bad idea. The tanks we checked had a lot of deer sign. 

The does we glassed were bedded just a few hundred yards from water. We're going to hit that area first thing in the morning again as my go-to may be out of reach due to the heat for the next few days that we have left. I was having a good time tossing old deer crap at my kid while glassing. Win-win for me... not so much for him probably.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, az_runner said:

Any others out there now for the youth hunt? I was taking my son in on about 2 mile hike in where I got my buck last year and we had to turn around due to the heat and we started before sun up. I'm used to seeing a few dozen does on day one and we glassed up about 8 on spot for the entire day. We sat water twice and didn't see much... dropped a cam or two to see what shows for tomorrow. Just trying to see if you guys are dealing with the same out here. I know youth hunt is pretty far into the season so I'm sure that is some of it and the rest is this crazy heat.

We are down here right now and a little slow. Had to take this morning off for business, but will be back at it this afternoon. Saw 40 deer yesterday, 2 bucks in really tough spots and a mountain lion. I have 4 youth hunters with me, 3 girls and my son. Seems like they are in similar areas as last year. Hopefully with cooler weather coming in we'll have better luck.....glass till your eyes burn seems to be the name of the game down here. Good luck to your boy and shoot me a message if you need any help on a packout!

• Like 1

Thanks man. We crept into an area this morning at dark and about 45 minutes past sun up some awesome cat came motoring in on a wheeler up to a water hole down from us,  hung by the hole and spun out of there... not sure of his point. We left after he shook up the whole area. We spent the rest of the morning glassing and the kid was looking kind of flush  so we just called it. We may try to drive back down later in the week if life allows. Good luck to your young ones too.

• Like 1

How did things pan out for you guys out there in 36a? Did any of your young folks tag out? 

We never made it back out and I forgot that I left a one my cams out there. I have a buddy doing a pig hunt in Feb, so hopefully it will still be around... it was a cheapy cam at least.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:38 AM, Markleo21377 said:

We are down here right now and a little slow. Had to take this morning off for business, but will be back at it this afternoon. Saw 40 deer yesterday, 2 bucks in really tough spots and a mountain lion. I have 4 youth hunters with me, 3 girls and my son. Seems like they are in similar areas as last year. Hopefully with cooler weather coming in we'll have better luck.....glass till your eyes burn seems to be the name of the game down here. Good luck to your boy and shoot me a message if you need any help on a packout!

It went pretty well. I had 4 kids with me and my help fell through, so I had to keep all of them with me and take turns shooting. Got 3 shots at bucks and 3 at pigs. Saw 2 big ones that I will revisit late December but kids had an absolute blast.

PXL_20201124_003846041.thumb.jpg.71605a46a512a88c3913177dec65073c.jpg

PXL_20201122_170014058.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.08422b9ed32ae3368da273a825ec7292.jpg

• Like 5

VERY AWESOME!!!   

Spent many years chasing deer and pigs on that junior hunt when my three were coming of age.  They are all young adults now, but I treasure those times!  Thanks for reminding me!!

S.

8 minutes ago, stanley said:

VERY AWESOME!!!   

Spent many years chasing deer and pigs on that junior hunt when my three were coming of age.  They are all young adults now, but I treasure those times!  Thanks for reminding me!!

S.

Stanley,

Favorite hunt of mine for sure....kiddos are already looking forward to next year!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

Love the pics! Congrats.

Does that muley have a mutant beam going down the right side of his face?

I think poor guy must have ran into a fence post early in velvet 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Markleo21377 said:

It went pretty well. I had 4 kids with me and my help fell through, so I had to keep all of them with me and take turns shooting. Got 3 shots at bucks and 3 at pigs. Saw 2 big ones that I will revisit late December but kids had an absolute blast.

PXL_20201124_003846041.thumb.jpg.71605a46a512a88c3913177dec65073c.jpg

PXL_20201122_170014058.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.08422b9ed32ae3368da273a825ec7292.jpg

Very cool man! Awesome to see that you were able to get back on them.