Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Buddy Heater Repair

OK. At some point I know I've complained about this thing. I have the big one.

So I took everything apart - and blew through all the pipes and cleaned it out. I'm trying to pinpoint at where this is failing.

With a 1lb tank, it works geat.

With a 20lb tank, I get a pilot light, and when I go to "Low or High" it shuts off. Am I looking to replace a regulator? Both sides produce the same result.

What length hose are you using for the 20lb tank?  Use the 10 foot hose w/o the filter.

I had the support guy at Mr. Heater tell me that last year.  He said that filter can make the heater temperamental at times.

While it can be a little finicky at times to get started, mine has always worked even as recently as 2 weeks ago in 18A when it was colder than a well digger's brass money.

Good luck,

Eddie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

What eddie said.

I run the 10 ft hose without filter. Takes a LONG time for gas to get through and run it but it runs good.

OK. I think I have my next step. Thanks guys. 

54 minutes ago, Jazz said:

OK. I think I have my next step. Thanks guys. 

Tell us. I have one too. Would be nice to know the steps 

Unless the supplier filters it, the propane in the big tanks sometimes has an oil in it that messes with the catalytic material which is not present in the small cans.  I was having the same issues and went through the same process of switching hoses, etc.  Called the manufacturer and they recommended the filter.  I ran a 1 lb can through it to burn off the oil, bought a $10 filter, haven't had the problem again.

• Like 1

I've had mine for 15 years and run it off a 5 gallon with the 10' hose and never had a problem. Stinks you are having problems with it.

Mine was Freezing up and shutting off with the little green bottles last year up north duringthe late hunt. Where is a good place to get a hose to run off of the BBQ tanks ?

2 hours ago, HyNoon said:

Mine was Freezing up and shutting off with the little green bottles last year up north duringthe late hunt. Where is a good place to get a hose to run off of the BBQ tanks ?

walmart

• Thanks 1