Sign in to follow this  
Born2hunt

Shotgun stock fitting

Does anyone know a good stock fitter in the Phoenix area?  I’ve looked online and I might try to stop at magnum mikes today but I don’t know if they’re open.  I don’t have shims but I think I need to make some adjustments and check my form too. 

https://williamlarkinmoore.com/

These guys can probably do it, or know someone who can.  What you are looking for is a stock fitter with a try-gun.  This is a mechanical stock with all kinds of points of adjustment to obtain ideal fit.

There is also a DIY technique if you just want to see how your existing stock fits.  Basically, you need a steel gong about 3' diameter, that is clean and smooth, so you can roll light grease across the surface.  You back up 15 yds. or so, and mount your gun and shoot quickly at what you perceive to be the center of the plate.  After a few times, you will see how your stock fits as it will be obvious by the impact of the shot charge on the plate.  It takes some interpretation by a knowledgeable person, but you could research it and figure it out.  Most gun clubs with a trap and skeet range have these, and likely you could find someone who could help out. By the way, you want to repaint the plate after each shot.  Take notes or cell phone pics, and after a few shots, you will have a good idea of the fit of that particular shotgun.  For upland game, the ideal point of impact is centered left to right, and just slightly high, to account for the rising target.  This technique will provide lots of info, but not the ideal dimensions.  You will need a try-gun for that, or else mount a lot of guns, and record the dimensions of what fits and what doesn't.  Kinda tedious, but shotgun guys like this stuff.

16 hours ago, Born2hunt said:

Anyone have a recommendation for fitting a stock?  Thanks! 

What side of town do you live on? 

Don't know what side of town your on, but go to Rio Salado Sportsmans Club website and click on the about us, and send a message to the XO Jim Rasmussen, he will be able to hook you up with someone that can help you out.

• Like 1