Redman

Game Cameras- G&F Agenda

14 hours ago, ShutYourLib said:

I don’t post often, and usually side with the “we don’t need any more regulation” side of the house. That said, there are some problems with game cameras. If you have ever been on a hunt in a trophy unit, where there are multiple guide services representing clients, it really sucks. There are 15+ cameras on every water source, the guides then send in large groups of people to check all of the cameras early each morning, then they radio the team to head where the big bucks were last seen, then they post glassers on every hilltop for a couple of miles from that mornings pictures. It makes it very difficult for a do it yourself hunter.  I have no idea how to fix that, and don’t like regulation, but seeing that firsthand was the first time I thought that something needed to be done.  

What you said is right on ^^^....Trail cams were not a very useful scouting tool 15-20 years ago, but as technology improved trail cam popularity increased to a point where the use of them has become excessive with the majority of guiding companies throughout Arizona. What we are seeing is one guide company chooses to place 200+ cams in a unit, then the other guide businesses must do the same in order to compete, if they choose not to then they are taking a big risk in losing future clients. As we all know animals need water to survive, so why spend extra money scouting when it's much easier to place trail cams on all water sources throughout a unit. With trail cam battery life easily lasting 3-12 months on most cam units sold today, an all day/night trip out and a quick check later on is really all that is needed to scout an entire unit for their clients. It's not entirely guides contributing to the excessive use of trail cams, DiY hunters also feel the need to compete as well and place their fair share of cams out to help level the competition to locate game. I'm not for regulations in hunting, but I think what the AZGFD is seeing is more of a fair chase issue with the use of trail cameras.  Fair chase-is a term used by hunters to describe an ethical approach to hunting big game animals. Trail cam use has been considered an ethical tool to be used in hunting, but if the department feels the use of trail cams are currently being abused or no longer an ethical approach to hunting then they will have no choice but to limit their use, or ban them entirely. Being that the use of trail cams around water sources seems to be the major concern, I think the department will be leaning more towards a ban on trail cams within a 1/4 mile of water sources, much like the rule the department seemed to be focused on implementing during the last round of the trail cam debate.                   

• Love 1

Lmao! Y’all are up in arms about cams. While the g&f do annual surveys by buzzing a mtn side to make all the critters stand up.  That’s where the giants are found. Period

• Like 3

The commission should hold meetings in every part of the state if they want to hear other ideas than what the CC has on their agenda.  Hiding in Payson means they are closed to any other suggestions.  

If the guides are the problem then it is the G&F job to control their guides.  The average hunter is not littering the hills with cameras the guides are.  For profit guides should have to operate under different "rules" than average hunters.😷

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomC said:

The commission should hold meetings in every part of the state if they want to hear other ideas than what the CC has on their agenda.  Hiding in Payson means they are closed to any other suggestions.  

If the guides are the problem then it is the G&F job to control their guides.  The average hunter is not littering the hills with cameras the guides are.  For profit guides should have to operate under different "rules" than average hunters.😷

The commission isn't doing any banning of trail cameras today, they are only Request to Approve a Notice of Rulemaking Docket Opening, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Amending Article 3. Taking and Handling of Wildlife. Presenter: Larry Phoenix, FOR3 Regional Supervisor. The Department will ask the Commission to vote to approve a Notice of Rulemaking Docket Opening, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, and Economic Impact Statement to December 4, 2020 Page 4 of 6 Commission Meeting Agenda initiate rulemaking to amend rules within Article 3. Taking and Handling of Wildlife, related to the use of game cameras. I would guess that when they have the final meeting on the subject it will be at the big office at carefree that way there is plenty of room for anyone that wants a blue card to stand up and cry a little. 

4 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Lmao! Y’all are up in arms about cams. While the g&f do annual surveys by buzzing a mtn side to make all the critters stand up.  That’s where the giants are found. Period

Thats what they did to me. Day before my hunt they pushed the bulls I was watching from 1 to 27. I called it in for harassment and they told me it was a survey. Complete BS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

The commission isn't doing any banning of trail cameras today, they are only Request to Approve a Notice of Rulemaking Docket Opening, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Amending Article 3. Taking and Handling of Wildlife. Presenter: Larry Phoenix, FOR3 Regional Supervisor. The Department will ask the Commission to vote to approve a Notice of Rulemaking Docket Opening, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, and Economic Impact Statement to December 4, 2020 Page 4 of 6 Commission Meeting Agenda initiate rulemaking to amend rules within Article 3. Taking and Handling of Wildlife, related to the use of game cameras. I would guess that when they have the final meeting on the subject it will be at the big office at carefree that way there is plenty of room for anyone that wants a blue card to stand up and cry a little. 

Since you seem to be an insider explain why the Dept. is sticking Regional supervisors who have the real work of the G&F to do, with this dirty project.  There are lots of worthless over paid chair sitters hiding in offices in Carefree that do nothing.  😷

3 minutes ago, ThomC said:

Since you seem to be an insider explain why the Dept. is sticking Regional supervisors who have the real work of the G&F to do, with this dirty project.  There are lots of worthless over paid chair sitters hiding in offices in Carefree that do nothing.  😷

Well ya corona man 

2 hours ago, 654321 said:

The section "related to the use of game cameras" has been replaced with  related to authorizing the use of electronic tags.

image.png.eed5b64b17966863181b3a94cca3a91e.png