Redman

Game Cameras- G&F Agenda

Oh chit the sky is falling and the world is coming to an end. No trail cameras!   Anyone remember hunting before trail cameras were invented?   We’re you still successful?  I know I was.

You can still take pictures through your spotting scope or binoculars!

Money/fame  not outfitters have ruined the sport of hunting! ( ask the power line guy)

Trail cameras are like insider trading information.  The more cameras you run the higher your advantage is. (Cameras are not illegal, yet!). 

20 minutes ago, az300wby said:

Oh chit the sky is falling and the world is coming to an end. No trail cameras!   Anyone remember hunting before trail cameras were invented?   We’re you still successful?  I know I was.

Money not outfitters have ruined the sport of hunting! 

Trail cameras are like insider trading information.  The more cameras you run the higher your advantage is. (Cameras are not illegal, yet!). 

The sky isn’t falling but your position and voice with a public resource that is manipulated by a government agency sure is. Funny thing is WE hunters are fitting the bill year in and year out. Yet our input is clearly less than zero. 

• Like 1

2020 has been a crappy year but the prospect of a trail camera ban in Arizona is truly a bright spot. It is proof that we might just have a game commission made up of hunters instead of bobble head dolls for business interests. Trail camera regulation has been discussed in Arizona for a long time, even before Nevada put their rules in place. Even though we didnt beat Nevada to the punch on regulation it is great that we seem to have Commissioners with integrity and the backbone for leadership.

And lets be really honest, this isnt about cameras for the guides, it is about data. Cameras are simply a cheap tool that allows outfitters to send teams of young inexperienced wanna be guides into the field to collect data for outfitting syndicates, some controlled outside the state of Arizona.  Also, many of the pictures collected are used to market expo and auction tags for people that view the hunt as the wasted time between  when they get off the plane and the time they pull the trigger.  Trail cameras are turning some large outfitters in multi national Walmarts when the citizens of Arizona would be much better served by keeping the guide businesses local.  Outfitters should be hired based on skill, not by their level of access to some trophy hunting database.

And the thought of not having a guide walk into a wallow at 10 AM to check a camera on my 5BS archery bull elk hunt while I was sitting in a ground blind with my 8 year old son in 2016 would be great. The thought of a team of camera checkers not running the camera circuit all day long on my Kaibab archery deer hunt in 2018 would also be nice. Even nicer would have been the ability to take a leak virtually anywhere on the strip in 2012 during my archery deer hunt , that place was covered up with camera.s then I cannot imagine it now. And like I said  above., getting  cameras off of public land will  reduce the number of fresh juicy marketing pictures that fuels the engine that  drives the shift of more  tags to expos, raffles and other circuses.,  a total win win for 99% of us.

And like someone mentioned above, if we must register the cameras they could be tagged with color coded annual registration stickers purchased online and linked to each hunters hunting license. A limit of 10 cameras per license, the first 3 cameras are 10 bucks, the next 7 are 50 bucks each. If cameras will be used for commercial purposes they  will need to capture device serial numbers in the metadata for each photo in order to make sure the device is properly registered.in Arizona . Cameras would not be allowed from aug-dec and there would be no special loopholes for guides to use more than the established personal camera limits. Unregistered cameras would be viewed as empty beers cans and other trash and responsible hunters would be encouraged to clean them up which should take the burden off of the Wildlife managers. 

I am looking forward to the public meeting about this, I will be on the ban side of the room. It is exciting to think some parts of hunting could be like they were when I started  almost 40 years ago.   

Ryan

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

People/hunters are voicing their position against trail cameras!   
like Ryan stated that is the reality of today and it’s not just guides but diy hunters doing that chit!

3 hours ago, javihammer said:

2020 has been a crappy year but the prospect of a trail camera ban in Arizona is truly a bright spot. It is proof that we might just have a game commission made up of hunters instead of bobble head dolls for business interests. Trail camera regulation has been discussed in Arizona for a long time, even before Nevada put their rules in place. Even though we didnt beat Nevada to the punch on regulation it is great that we seem to have Commissioners with integrity and the backbone for leadership.

And lets be really honest, this isnt about cameras for the guides, it is about data. Cameras are simply a cheap tool that allows outfitters to send teams of young inexperienced wanna be guides into the field to collect data for outfitting syndicates, some controlled outside the state of Arizona.  Also, many of the pictures collected are used to market expo and auction tags for people that view the hunt as the wasted time between  when they get off the plane and the time they pull the trigger.  Trail cameras are turning some large outfitters in multi national Walmarts when the citizens of Arizona would be much better served by keeping the guide businesses local.  Outfitters should be hired based on skill, not by their level of access to some trophy hunting database.

And the thought of not having a guide walk into a wallow at 10 AM to check a camera on my 5BS archery bull elk hunt while I was sitting in a ground blind with my 8 year old son in 2016 would be great. The thought of a team of camera checkers not running the camera circuit all day long on my Kaibab archery deer hunt in 2018 would also be nice. Even nicer would have been the ability to take a leak virtually anywhere on the strip in 2012 during my archery deer hunt , that place was covered up with camera.s then I cannot imagine it now. And like I said  above., getting  cameras off of public land will  reduce the number of fresh juicy marketing pictures that fuels the engine that  drives the shift of more  tags to expos, raffles and other circuses.,  a total win win for 99% of us.

And like someone mentioned above, if we must register the cameras they could be tagged with color coded annual registration stickers purchased online and linked to each hunters hunting license. A limit of 10 cameras per license, the first 3 cameras are 10 bucks, the next 7 are 50 bucks each. If cameras will be used for commercial purposes they  will need to capture device serial numbers in the metadata for each photo in order to make sure the device is properly registered.in Arizona . Cameras would not be allowed from aug-dec and there would be no special loopholes for guides to use more than the established personal camera limits. Unregistered cameras would be viewed as empty beers cans and other trash and responsible hunters would be encouraged to clean them up which should take the burden off of the Wildlife managers. 

I am looking forward to the public meeting about this, I will be on the ban side of the room. It is exciting to think some parts of hunting could be like they were when I started  almost 40 years ago.   

Ryan

this decision is baseless and without any scientific support.

they will do as they please. 

Just nod and smile 

cheers

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, javihammer said:

Ryan

^^^ Right on here, the only thing is the last paragraph-AZGFD will never go to any kind of license or fee for cameras, too time consuming and difficult to control. Much simpler for them to ban them and not have to worry about trail cams again. 

A lot of cameras are put out by photographers.  G&F has no jurisdiction on photographers.  😷

9 hours ago, az300wby said:

Money/fame  not outfitters have ruined the sport of hunting! ( ask the power line guy)

Hunting with Trail cams is not the point ! Has it been abused yes like everything else in hunting. ITS ANOTHER FREEDOM TAKEN AWAY!! HELLO!

The point is even in an off season a guy cant go out with his kids and check cameras. The ultimate treasure hunt. 

They are catering to special interest groups. Kurt Davis is in his glory because now he can got out with a bang and all under the DISGUISE OF COVID !! NO LARGE GROUP MEETINGS!!! 

11 hours ago, BOHNTR said:

No.  I’m saying nobody from the commission contacted P&Y or B&C regarding this current proposal.  

They did but it may have been to measurers or records book people . There is public record of those statements at the 2018 commissioners meetings.

Irregardless ITS NOT A FAIR CHASE ISSUE WITH ANY HUNTING ORGANIZATION! 

1 hour ago, SirRoyal said:

They did but it may have been to measurers or records book people . There is public record of those statements at the 2018 commissioners meetings.

Irregardless ITS NOT A FAIR CHASE ISSUE WITH ANY HUNTING ORGANIZATION! 

I would have been the one they call. It never happened 

20 hours ago, ThomC said:

All you guys that dont like my opinion do not bother me.  In fact it usually means to me that I hit a bullseye.  So, carry on it gets Amandas post count up and that is good for her and this site. 😷

Perhaps if you surprise everyone and say something intelligent, no one would bother you. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

I actually could care less either way EXCEPT a couple out loud thoughts.  

1. I hate more regulations......if the deer #s are on the decline how about some sound management and limit the amount of tags not how someone hunts. ( that can be another discussion.)

It's not about the game populations, per se. IMHO, it's more in the realm of social engineering -- controlling how people act and react with each other and eliminating conflicts. 

I just use my cams for wildlife watching.  I will make sure I don't hunt any animals I have on camera.