Redman

Game Cameras- G&F Agenda

53 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Cameras heck! They've been talking about banning blinds on water holes. What's next?

Tell you what,  Why don't we all stand arms length apart  and then form a circle.  Next we can shoulder our firearms and open fire.   Same difference,

Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Cameras heck! They've been talking about banning blinds on water holes. What's next?

Tell you what,  Why don't we all stand arms length apart  and then form a circle.  Next we can shoulder our firearms and open fire.   Same difference,

The circle thing sounds great! that might end point creep for bighorn sheep tags...

• Like 1

Been gone for awhile, finally checked back in and what do you know, this topic is up to 34 pages. 77 pages was my initial guess before you'all wear yourself out or more likely, get distracted by the next laser pointer topic. 

The belly laughs were great, be back in a few weeks to my giggles..............

42 minutes ago, huntlines said:

Been gone for awhile, finally checked back in and what do you know, this topic is up to 34 pages. 77 pages was my initial guess before you'all wear yourself out or more likely, get distracted by the next laser pointer topic. 

The belly laughs were great, be back in a few weeks to my giggles..............

Don't put yourself out.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:51 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

Leghold trap ban on PUBLIC land came about through a voter initiative -- Proposition 201 -- that passed with 58% in Nov., 1994. Thus the AGFD had nothing to do with it. By law, as a state agency, they weren't even allowed to comment on it one way or another.  A similar proposition (200) failed to pass by 62% in 1992

Right on with predator contest ban. It was passed by the G&F Commission & Governor’s Regulatory Review Council in Sept. 2019 and went into effect 60 days later. The G&F commission had voted 3-2 for a ban in 1999, but the Review Council voted it down.

I can't remember the guy's name now, but his dog getting caught in a trap is what started the whol "ban leghold traps'" movement. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

I can't remember the guy's name now, but his dog getting caught in a trap is what started the whol "ban leghold traps'" movement. 

IIRC he was a Lawyer and his dog bit him when he attempted to set it loose. Scottsdale?

I get the give them an inch and they will take a mile argument, but it also about adapting to current situations. Land encroachment, population, technology, etc etc. I don't miss predator contests for money, I don't miss leg hold traps and pretty sure in a year or two I won't miss game cameras (something none of us had 10 years ago btw). All of this is still a privilege and curating it is as important (maybe even the key to) as protecting it IMO. 

I'm more concerned about what is sure to be an increase in archery applicants with 'shoulder' issues using air bows than I am not being able to sit on my couch while 'scouting' 24/7.  The former affects me a whole bunch more.  I can imagine the outfitters and others have been and are exploiting the crap out of this with in and out of state hunters.. you mean I can hunt bull elk, in the rut, before anyone else and shoot 150yards using a rifle and with 1/2 the points? 

Let the animals and habitat win one back (maybe even level the playing field a bit for the average joe vs the outfitters in some spots) and take some pressure off (whether is a bunch or a little, it's something) and find animals the old fashion way. My continued .02 anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trophyseeker said:

Yup, that was him. 

I wrote my LAST SHOT column in AZ HUNTER & ANGLER about the incident when it happened. That PC is down right now, however. Anyway, his name was Larry Sunderland, but I don't recall if he was a lawyer or not. I think it happened near Flagstaff on NF land. 

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

IIRC he was a Lawyer and his dog bit him when he attempted to set it loose. Scottsdale?

My memory is coming back a bit. The lawyer you're thinking about was Gil Shaw. He actually introduced the failed initiative to ban the traps in 1992, but he wasn't the guy in the dog incident, which happened years earlier. See my last post for that.