Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Thanksgiving buck

Well today was the last day of the JR hunt and my daughter was up for one last attempt. Got up at 0400 and high tailed it to a spot where we had multiple attempts and some decent bucks last weekend. With my work schedule and her school today was the only day we could go out.

Got set up and waited for the sun to rise, it was much colder than we thought and she was not dressed as warm as she should have. I started glassing where I had seen numerous bucks but was only turning up does. I told her to glass this canyon where the sun was shining, I would look back occasionally and she was huddled up, rubbing her gloves together and sniffling because of the cold weather. About an 1 1/2 hrs into it I sit next her and start glassing her canyon. As soon as I put my binos up I see antlers, I got a buck and it’s a shooter!!!! She comes over, I range it at 277 yds down hill. She sets up and 5 minutes later a shoot rings out. The buck spins and goes behind some Manzanita. She asks, did I get it? I said it was hit but had no idea as to where it hit. I told her to keep an eye on the area and I would gather all the gear. As we started the descent, we kick up a really wide buck and it runs out of site, I was thinking the buck we shot couldn’t do that, plus I didn’t see any blood on him. As we get closer to the large tree as a reference point I tell her to get ready for a possible follow up shot. I start to get excited because we are near the area where the buck should be. I’m looking around and I see a lifeless body, I turn toward my daughter and give her a high five and massive hug. I congratulate her for her Thanksgiving buck!!!

Hope everyone has a fantastic Thanksgiving, this definitely has made 2020 a much better year for me and being able to cherish this time with my daughter. This is definitely her biggest buck to date. This is also her 5th WT all from unit 33. Of course she had to get dad building up an appetite for a Thanksgiving spread later today.

EDAE2739-1D6E-4C20-9055-A9B5305378F2.jpeg

33EB3AB5-D2A5-4936-9BCB-5AC540355EAF.jpeg

D0ED0577-2D98-4392-A396-71E8330B4DFC.jpeg

Edited by Shooter McGavin
Spelling
  • Like 15

7 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Nicely done. 👍

Too pretty a lady to look at sideways. 

buck.thumb.jpeg.2013f1fb2c97fd5d37d8163d499faaf2.jpeg

It’s a good think she looks like mommy!!!

Thanks for reorienting the pic.

• Like 1