norm555

Last Minute 36B Tips

I’m down in 36b for the third rifle hunt and scouted today and found javelina and does, but no bucks.  I swear coues bucks are my nemesis. Any one care to send a tip my way?

Maybe someone can give you a good spot, that helps the most. But if not I recommend, as cliche as it sounds to get away from the roads and get up into some stuff. Then when you get toward the back the coues bucks seem to be there

Stick with it, I'm down here now and seen a ton of does but this is normal for our group. Tomorrow with all the traffic out in the hills, they get bumped and always see them. Where in 36B are you?

15 hours ago, norm555 said:

I’m down in 36b for the third rifle hunt and scouted today and found javelina and does, but no bucks.  I swear coues bucks are my nemesis. Any one care to send a tip my way?

Hopefully you have a GPS along. 

Take the Ruby Rd. west past Ruby and watch for a road on the left at 31.460178189681304, -111.24925561627283 that goes to California Gulch. Go south to about 31.444378519493796, -111.23893362190242 where a two-track goes off to the left. Take it a ways and hunt west of that road.

A bit farther west past Ruby is a road on the left that goes to Warsaw Canyon at about 31.44561010967598, -111.27419183803671. Go south to Warsaw Spring at 31.42286176181671, -111.2639672573368. Either park or camp in the general area and hunt both west & east of the road. 

There's also a little two-track at 31°27'47.9"N 111°12'23.2"W along the Ruby Rd. Take it in about 1/2 mile and hunt. 

Kill a big one. 

34 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Only time I’ve been to 36b I saw about 135 does and one spike 

That what we did this morning in 35b lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norm555 said:

How far does everyone usually hike away from the road before you start seeing bucks?

It's not a matter of how far; it's a matter of where, whether near or far, and how well you hunt, especially when it comes to glassing. I once killed a buck in 36B behind a ridge that ran along the main road. It was less than 200 yards from the road as the crow flies. That said, if you're seeing alot of hunters, you need to move to less crowded areas, which usually means hiking.   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, norm555 said:

How far does everyone usually hike away from the road before you start seeing bucks?

Usually shoot a foot off the road. Spot them in truck first. Kidding, you need to get at least a ridge/hill over or 2. 

On 11/26/2020 at 6:48 PM, norm555 said:

Norm555,

I’m taking my nephew on his very first javelina hunt in Jan. In 36a/b/c. Not super familiar with the areas . Do you mind DMing me the general area you saw javelina?  I’ve done a little bit of white tail hunting in the NW corner of the unit but I’ve never seen pig. 

Hopefully this cooler weather gets them on their feet a little during daylight for you. I’ve been in a different unit scouting for December and same thing. Does does does. But it was still almost 80 so I would be laid up during the day too. 

3 hours ago, Lmute said:

Norm555,

I’m taking my nephew on his very first javelina hunt in Jan. In 36a/b/c. Not super familiar with the areas . Do you mind DMing me the general area you saw javelina?  I’ve done a little bit of white tail hunting in the NW corner of the unit but I’ve never seen pig. 

I've never hunted them in 36B, but I've seen javelina on almost every deer or Mearns quail hunt I've ever done in that unit . Once while bird hunting, my German shorthair had a bit of a go at a herd in a wash, and when I tried to get her away, I had a piglet run right betwen my feet to get to mama. 

If the temps are down, glass sunnny hillsides early in the day.  

There are lots of coatis in 36B, too., and the season is open in Jan. 

Just got back from 36B and where I usually hunt was extremely tough. No water and a tremendous amount of does. I didn't see a single coues buck! Frustrating to say the least but will go back at it later during the week and will report back. 

Chatted with a few different hunters in Arivaca yesterday night when I stopped in for some supplies and story was the same.

Did hear plenty of shots so I guess that is a good sign. I feel bad for the deer getting pushed around and not having a water hole. I couldn't find one where I was and asked around...