I am currently hunting with a 12ga pump winchester 1200, was thinking about getting a semi auto but wasnt a fan of how the action felt shooting. Am now thinking a o/u would be great for upland birds, having two chokes would be sweet (in theory). Would you guys go 12 or 20ga ? And 26 or 28in? I was leaning towards 28in w/ ejectors. Trying to spend $1000 or less

My brother in law has one of these.  I don’t remember which one but it’s high quality.  I know they’re expensive, but you feel where the money went.  I’m not a serious shotgun guy or I would definitely buy one of these.  It will last a lot longer than the others I hear.  Over/under guns seem like the type that give problems unless it’s a high end.  I’ve experienced that on others that I’ve been around.

https://gueriniusa.com/gun-type/field-guns/

Try as many as you can to find a model that fits you. For quail, you may prefer a 20 over 12 gauge.  I used a 28 and preferred it over my 12 in terms of weight and recoil.

Since I dont load I think 20 or 12 will be preferable, I was thinking that 12 might be the way to go with the increase in spread, but a lighter quicker gun may be preferable also. Quail will be its main use. 

I HIGHLY recommend you go with a 20 gauge with a short barrel.  The shorter barrel will allow you to swing quickly on flushing birds.  The 20 gauge will save your arms from wearing out after long days hiking rough country.

Whatever gun you purchase, I recommend you purchase extended choke tubes.  These will allow you to quickly change chokes to match your hunting situation without having to need field tools.

1 hour ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Any opinions on the cz drake? I found one for sale around $500 looks to be in good condition. The only concern I had was it has extractors instead of injectors

I prefer extractors.. I don't have to look for my empties on the ground and no empties left behind. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

What price range would you classify as a quality O/U?

Field grade Browning, Beretta, Ruger, Winchester, etc. purchased used.  Prices vary depending on condition but expect to spend $1000.  O/U's are either right or left handed (cast off, cast on).  Make sure you get one that fits.

1 hour ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Any opinions on the cz drake? I found one for sale around $500 looks to be in good condition. The only concern I had was it has extractors instead of injectors

I prefer extractors over ejectors.  I'd rather remove the hull than pick it up off the ground.  Speaking of budget guns, CZ has a good reputation as do some of the O/U's coming out of Turkey.

If you are willing to spend 1K what Swivelhead said is spot on ( I have a couple of Beretta's and a Wby and my son shoots a Ruger and all great guns). For what's is worth and if you looking new and going to spend 700ish range, probably going to end up with an alloy receiver. I have had extensive time with a Stevens 555's and for an alloy gun, they do very well.