I guess I found that one and it seemed like it may be a good buy as I havent ever used anything but a pump, would be a gun to develop an opinion of O/U and know what to consider if I buy a nicer gun down the road. I found a citori for a good price but it is pre chokes and 12 gauge instead of 20

20ga and or 28ga are good on these quail. 26 or 28” barrels. Prefer 26”. 

berretta, franchi, browning, ruger  etc make good O/Us depending on your price range. 

if you want a good gun that is inexpensive do your research. Look into Yildiz O/Us. 

32 minutes ago, Tres said:

if you want a good gun that is inexpensive do your research. Look into Yildiz O/Us. 

Never heard of yildiz, I will check them out for sure. How would they compare to cz? (Not that cz is anything special but its one of the lesser expensive O/Us ive looked at)

13 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Never heard of yildiz, I will check them out for sure. How would they compare to cz? (Not that cz is anything special but its one of the lesser expensive O/Us ive looked at)

You can buy 2 yildiz shotguns for the price of 1 CZ. The Yildiz is a Turkish made shotgun that totes nice wood. For $400 you will have a decent little shooter however the quality isn’t great. They are not a B gun but they are built pretty well and are imported by Briley.  I know in Augusta GA they have a big trap and skeet teams from all the area high schools.  That's what a lot of the kids shoot.  Will they hold up to ten's of thousands of rounds? Might not but for normal use they'll probably outlast you and for the price, if you wear it out and had to get another you'd still be cheaper than a B gun. Problem is you would have to go to a state that has an Academy. 

My wife bought me a 12 gauge Weatherby orion 2 years ago for Christmas, i haven't pulled out my auto or pump guns since. I love this gun, its a shooter too and she picked it up for $599 at sportsman's a week before Christmas on sale. 20201027_173826.thumb.jpg.cf79e14f55a6c918864b08846bf4273b.jpg

8 minutes ago, Roboz said:

My wife bought me a 12 gauge Weatherby orion 2 years ago for Christmas, i haven't pulled out my auto or pump guns since. I love this gun, its a shooter too and she picked it up for $599 at sportsman's a week before Christmas on sale. 20201027_173826.thumb.jpg.cf79e14f55a6c918864b08846bf4273b.jpg

That seems very reasonable, I thought those were closer to $1000?

At sportsman's they are $749 for a 28" barrel and $899 for a 26", not sure why there is such a difference? She just got a good deal that day. 

I shoot a 28" 12ga Winchester 101.  Awesome O/U.  I use Browning extended chokes in it.  Usually run IC/LM for early dove and quail.  M/IM for late dove.  Quick swap to SK/IC for clays.

I bought my daughter a 26" 20ga CZ Redhead Deluxe.  It uses Briley extended chokes.  Same uses in this as my 12ga.  I use this a lot during dove, but more for quail seasons too.  

Just remember that the sighting plain on a pump or auto is about 6” longer then it will be on a double.  So if you’re used to shooting a 26” pump that would be the same as a 32” double.  A 28” similar to a 34” double.  Conversely, a 26” double is the same as a 20” pump or auto.  I prefer a long sighting plane, even for upland birds.  It’s a bit more to carry but worth it in my opinion.  My  beretta auto I special ordered with 30” barrel.  Every double I own has 30” barrels and I feel they’re still too short personally but they’re really hard to find in anything over a 30 anymore.  

I would look for a good used American or Italian gun before going with a Turkish gun (essentially all the sub $1000 guns made right now are Turkish regardless of what name they wear). Get yourself  Red Label, Orion, 101 or silver pigeon.  Should be able to find one in that $700-1000 range.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

Just remember that the sighting plain on a pump or auto is about 6” longer then it will be on a double.  So if you’re used to shooting a 26” pump that would be the same as a 32” double.  A 28” similar to a 34” double.  Conversely, a 26” double is the same as a 20” pump or auto.  I prefer a long sighting plane, even for upland birds.  It’s a bit more to carry but worth it in my opinion.  My  beretta auto I special ordered with 30” barrel.  Every double I own has 30” barrels and I feel they’re still too short personally but they’re really hard to find in anything over a 30 anymore.  

I would look for a good used American or Italian gun before going with a Turkish gun (essentially all the sub $1000 guns made right now are Turkish regardless of what name they wear). Get yourself  Red Label, Orion, 101 or silver pigeon.  Should be able to find one in that $700-1000 range.  

My main gun now is a winchester 1200 with a 31” barrel, full choke. I think a 28” O/U will be what I go after, still not sure 20 vs 12. Hunted this weekend with a 20ga 26” 870 express and did pretty good with quail. The less recoil is nice but thinking the added range and wider spread might be nice with the 12. Especially if I decide to use it for dove also. Im not in a rush to buy so I think I will keep an eye out for a model you mentioned above.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:38 AM, bowhunter-tw said:

I am currently hunting with a 12ga pump winchester 1200, was thinking about getting a semi auto but wasnt a fan of how the action felt shooting. Am now thinking a o/u would be great for upland birds, having two chokes would be sweet (in theory). Would you guys go 12 or 20ga ? And 26 or 28in? I was leaning towards 28in w/ ejectors. Trying to spend $1000 or less

Spend $200 more and you will have a better than solid gun. 
https://williamlarkinmoore.com/inventory/itemid/7490

You can probably find one cheaper too