GilaCoues

WTB Remington 721/722/725

3 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

My grandpa would roll over in his grave if I refinished the stock on his gun. The stock is the heart and soul, and the story teller of that rifle.

This one was trashed from many many days in a saddle. Unfortunately it had to be done. The sealer was coming off and when I used it on a wet day once you could see the moisture working its way under the sealer and saturating the wood. My hope is that he appreciated that I cared enough to spend the time working on it. If he was mad he never said so, but being a lifelong farm hand, he was far more interested in utility than sentiment. I would bet he was alright with it.

Interesting side note, he bought this rifle to hunt elk after having less than optimal performance with a .300 savage on a horseback hunt in the Selway (what a dream, right?). He never shot another elk and so never got to see the performance of the .270 on that quarry. When I was 14 I shot my first big game animal, a cow elk, with this rifle. He was thrilled that it finally got to serve its designated purpose and I was happy to report a one-shot kill.

I shot one more elk with that rifle, a calf on a limited opp hunt, before I upgraded to a more modern rifle. I might need to pull her out of the back of the safe and get her properly set for hunting again.

Utility is always the goal.

Mine has a 6-8" scar in the side. Grandpa was hunting, I believe moose when a griz came in to camp and scared the horses.

He had the rifle next to his leg. In the panic, one of the horses kicked the rifle, leaving the big scar. Better the rifle than his leg!

Unfortunately,  my dad went through some tough times recently, and in a moment of weakness, pawned it.

I found out which pawn, and went down there. Told them the family connection, ar the time I didn't have much money.. (ex wife was good at that). They sold it back to me. They still made money, but were fair with me. 

My dad killed his one and only elk with it, and I killed my one and only lion with it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Utility is always the goal.

Mine has a 6-8" scar in the side. Grandpa was hunting, I believe moose when a griz came in to camp and scared the horses.

He had the rifle next to his leg. In the panic, one of the horses kicked the rifle, leaving the big scar. Better the rifle than his leg!

Unfortunately,  my dad went through some tough times recently, and in a moment of weakness, pawned it.

I found out which pawn, and went down there. Told them the family connection, ar the time I didn't have much money.. (ex wife was good at that). They sold it back to me. They still made money, but were fair with me. 

My dad killed his one and only elk with it, and I killed my one and only lion with it.

When I worked in the mines I bought a few rifles from guys who were struggling. I would offer a reasonable but not good price and handshake on the option of buying it back for the same price within two years. Two did, three didn't. Glad you got that rifle back.

On 12/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, GilaCoues said:

Thanks, good luck with your search as well.  I'll keep a look out for your preferred choice.

i got-r-dun.  1950 version.

just a note about roberts-if you handload try to find a long action rifle.  mauser winchester, ruger.  performance/accuracy of the cartridge is reduced by deep seated 115, 117 and 120gr projectiles necessary on short action rifles.

just a thought.

lee

• Like 1

Lee, that's good advice regarding buying a long action to take full advantage of handloading.  Yes, i currently handload and will keep that in mind.  Thinking of selling my wife's 7mm-08 Rem 700 SPS and using the money to buy another .280 Rem model 721.  Kinda cool to go old school.